Best.tattoo is reader-supported. When you buy via the links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.
There’s no doubt that rotary tattoo machines have taken the industry by storm but don’t for one second think that it signals the end of coil tattoo machines. A lot of professional tattoo artists still prefer to use this vintage piece of equipment or at the very least, keep it in their kit to use every now and again.
In the rotary vs coil tattoo machine war, rotary machines are more portable and all-inclusive but it’s difficult to beat the classic experience of using a coil tattoo machine. The fact is that both tattoo machine types have a role to play in this $1.4 billion industry so we decided to shine the spotlight on the best coil tattoo machines in 2023.
How do we define the best? Well, we looked at cost, performance, quality, and looks and narrowed it down to the six best coil tattoo machines.
Okay, let’s jump into this in-depth guide and review.
6 best Coil Tattoo Machines overview
6 best Coil Tattoo Machines
1. Dragonhawk: Best Coil Tattoo Machine Overall
- Dragonhawk poke beginner tattoo kit include original poke pen, tattoo needles,black ink, mark pen, beautiful tattoos desgin images, covers and supplies
- Designed for professional tattoo needles, the exclusive needle holder (the position of the needle grommets) ensures the most suitable length of the stroke, more fast and easy coloring
- Complete professional stick pen is a good choice for beginners, learners, tatoo artists
- Enjoy tattoo processing just like painting use a pen, everyone can do small tattoos everywhere
- Dragonhawk original design stick pen, safe, strong and sturdy, not a disposable stick pen. Precision card slot, fix the needle to the barrel sturdy.
This brand is no stranger among professional tattoo artists. Dragonhawk is known for top-quality products at prices that won’t drain your bank account. Their coil tattoo machines are no exception.
If you’re looking for an affordable machine that performs, then these dependable Dragonhawk coil tattoo machines are for you.
You can expect both liner and shader machines to be manually tested to ensure it is structurally sound and there aren’t any durability issues. The machines offer a rotating speed of 23,000 r/m at the maximum level. If you know your stuff, this will be music to your ears as this speed offers smooth execution. What’s more, the machines operate between six to nine volts.
The tattoo machines come with heavy frames, which is a drawback to some since it is one of the heavier coil machines on the market. But there’s no denying that the zinc alloy frame compliments the 10-wrap copper coils making it a good looking machine. Dragonhawk also offers you a choice between a traditional-looking liner or something more modern—whatever choice you make, the performance stays the same.
All in all, Dragonhawk coil tattoo machines are the best overall choice because it ticks all our boxes. They’re durable, made from high-quality materials, affordable, and perform as they should. These machines are beginner-friendly yet perfectly suitable for mid-level professionals as well.
Why choose Dragonhawk coils?
- The power supply packs a punch.
- Brand is backed by professionals.
- Machines are built with high-quality material, which guarantees durability.
- Dragonhawk offers a refund if you’re unsatisfied with your purchase.
2. Pirate Face: Professional Quality Coil Tattoo Guns
- GREAT FOR BEGINNER, APPRENTICE, OR PROFESSIONAL TATTOO ARTISTS!
- 4 Tattoo Machine Gun - 10 coil / Includes FREE 240 page Tattoo Instructional Book & DVD COMBO
- UPDATED: 7 Bottles Radiant Colors Tattoo Ink - MADE IN THE USA
- Includes ALL Supplies - Carrying Case, Needles, Power, Ink Cups, Grips, Gloves, Directions, etc..
- 6 month warranty on power supply and tattoo machines
Pirate Face is a big brand when it comes to coil tattoo machine manufacturing. With the Grinder tattoo kit, they’re taking things to a whole new level.
In this kit, you get four 10-wrap coil tattoo guns that can each be tuned for lining and shading, as well as everything else you need to do tattoos. You may be wondering why the Pirate Face Grinder tattoo kits get the “professional grade” stamp when it is marketed for beginners.
Well, considering the quality coil tattoo machine you get at a very affordable price, you don’t have to beg professional tattoo artists to pick up this gun and get inking. In fact, this kit was put together with professionals in mind and turned out to be especially popular with traveling tattoo artists.
But this shouldn’t scare off beginner tattoo artists. The kit comes with a textbook many claim to be a “Tattoo Bible” of sorts. It’s a valuable resource to have on hand while you’re busy with your apprenticeship and dreaming about opening your own tattoo shop in the future.
Another selling point is that these coil tattoo machines are easily modified which means they can grow with you in your craft.
If we look at the power output of these coil tattoo machines, you can expect to feel a lot of force in your hand and beginners may find it difficult to control the hit. We also have to mention that the power supply can be somewhat erratic at times, so bear this in mind. Of course, considering this kit’s affordable price and what you get it in, buying a different power supply is all this kit needs to make it one of the best on the market.
The power of the coils in this kit has surprised many with its quality performance, especially if you consider the price. You don’t need to compromise or pay extra to have these machines adjusted—they will perform exactly as you need them right out of the box.
Why buy the Pirate Face Grinder coil tattoo machine kit?
- You get four heavy-duty coil machines.
- The tattoo machines are versatile.
- High power output leads to better hits (but can be difficult for beginners to control).
- Professionals and beginners alike rave about these machines.
- Affordably priced.
3. Redscorpion Liner: Best coil tattoo machine liner for Beginners
- Alloy Tattoo Machine Working Stable,Uniform Speed,Smooth Lines,Being Easy to Color,Reducing Damage of Skin
- Spring:High Flexible,Strong Elasticity,High Hardness,Not Easy to Wreck
- The Machine Working with Low Noise And Without Any Heat Within 8 Hours
- Frame is Made of Alloy,Handmade Coil 10 Wrap for Shader 8 Wrap for Liner
- What You Get:2pcs Tattoo Machines and Friendly Customer Service
This coil tattoo liner is in a league of its own. The accuracy of this machine is without comparison making it perfect for professionals looking for precision. This is in part thanks to the armature bar of this coil tattoo machine.
Of course, the general design of the iron frame contributes to this machine’s accuracy. The Redscorpion liner is easy to set up and requires minimal tinkering to make it function as you want it to.
The chassis comes with eight-wrap coils. Furthermore, this coil tattoo machine liner has supreme electric and magnetic conductivity, which makes manipulating the hit comfortable.
There’s also zero heating which means you can tattoo for up to eight hours uninterrupted.
On top of the great performance, the Redscorpion liner coil tattoo machine sits at a desirable price point. It is an affordable coil tattoo gun that is great value for money.
We do have to mention that this machine is somewhat heavier than usual and this is something you need to consider before investing in the Redscorpion.
Why is this coil tattoo machine the one for you?
- It’s accurate.
- It’s super affordable.
- It has a smooth needle motion.
- The armature bar adds a lot of power.
- It doesn’t overheat.
4. One Tattoo World: Best Hand-Crafted
- New and high quality
- Beautiful appearance, special surface treatment
- Come with a 10 wrap manual coil
- Coil using the latest technology, ten high quality laps of solenoid valve
- Stable bouncing, B rear magnetic
This coil tattoo machine is much sought-after in the industry. It’s used by beginners and professionals worldwide. One Tattoo World is an established and trusted brand known for good-quality and durable products.
Although retailed as a liner only, this machine doubles as a shader. It has a 10-wrap coil design with a brass frame. Its appearance is top class; it is clear to see this machine is hand-crafted and the manufacturer pays particular attention to the look of this machine, especially the exterior surface.
When it comes to performance, you can expect a powerful machine you can use for longer tattoo sessions. One reason why your tattoo time can run on longer is because the vibrations aren’t as pronounced as that of other machines when run at higher voltages. The quality of the armature bar really takes this machine to the next level as it ensures optimal magnetic conductivity and voltage. Of course, the fact that it contributes to the aesthetic of the OTW coil tattoo machine can’t be ignored.
The wrap job on this coil gun is out of the world, making it easy for any tattoo professional to modulate power and change the hit. This machine makes use of the latest technology and you can anticipate smooth and consistent performance. The only downside we can think of is that the parts can be hard to find.
This is truly one of the better coil tattoo machines on the market and worth your money, especially if you’re looking for a high-quality machine that won’t cost you a fortune.
Why buy the OTW coil tattoo machine?
- It is a powerful liner.
- It is aesthetically very pleasing.
- It is light and easy to use.
- Brand’s customer service easily accessible
5. Hawink: Most Versatile Coil Tattoo Machine
- Pure Brass Front and Rear binding posts.Carbon Steel frame powder coated.Strong vice screw and vice, fits all grips on the market.
- 12 Wrap coils with premium 24 gauge enamel coated magnet wire. Clear coil washers and clear heat shrink wrap covers. 47uf capacitor, maximum voltage 50v, can handle any load.
- Heavy armature bar, can handle needles up to 18 RL.Features a 3.5 mm throw for maximum ink flow and single pass lines.
- Front Spring for greater power, stroke and speed. Excellent for traditional style work.Rear spring saddle mount. Absorbs rear spring impact and vibration for more accurate duty cycles.
- Best product, best after-sale service,We promise 100% satisfaction experiences.Please contact us with any inquiries regarding this tattoo machine and we will respond promptly!
If versatility is the thing you first look for when hunting for a new tattoo machine, then the Hawink coil tattoo machine is your best bet. Structurally, this tattoo gun is made from powder-coated steel that won’t scratch or rust.
The fittings and binding posts are made of brass which makes this coil tattoo machine compatible with several kinds of tattoo grips and other accessories. The machine can also handle multiple needle groupings.
It has an impact-absorbing design that will limit the heavy vibrations associated with coil machines.
If you’re buying the Hawink liner, you’ll be getting a 10-wrap coil design; shaders fit in 12-wrap coils for better magnetic conductivity. Whatever you get, both machines strike a balance between speed, stroke length, and power.
Why buy the Hawink coil tattoo machine?
- It’s compatible with other tattoo accessories.
- It has a sturdy chassis.
- Easy to set up and use.
- Great for beginners and professionals.
6. ATOMUS: Best Precision Coil Tattoo Machine
- ★ Coil Tattoo Machine Kit: Both tattoo liner & shader are 10 wrap coils. The tattoo liner machine has new style and old style, we will send it to you randomly, please kindly note that.
- ★ Rotating speed up to 23000r/m, smooth and stable operation.
- ★ Frame is made by high-grade zinc alloy, durable and exquisite.
- ★ Operating Voltage: 6-9V. Needles Length: 3.5mm. Can be used with various types' needles.
- ★ Brand Introduction: ATOMUS focuses on the design, manufacture and sale of tattoo products, eyebrow tattoo products, makeup tools and personal care products. If you are interested in our products and want to buy in bulk, please contact us directly, we will give you a nice discount. If you have any questions about the product,please contact us directly.
The liner and shader in this kit work in voltages ranging from 6-9 volts, making it easy to use on different skin surfaces regardless of needle depth and hit. The manufacturer gives you a choice between new and old gun designs. Both styles perform equally well, so don’t worry about their function when deciding.
The 10-wrap coil design guarantees seamless usage and can reach a rotating speed in the 23,000r/m range. This guarantees smooth operation and you can practice your craft without breaking a sweat.
Overall, the ATOMUS liner and shader coil tattoo guns are good-looking machines that offer great quality and guarantee perfect performance. We do have to mention that the weight difference between the liner and shader machines are noticeable and there are substantial structural differences you have to keep in mind.
Why by the ATOMUS kit?
- Stable operation.
- You get a liner and a shader.
- Remarkable operational voltage range.
- One of the best liners and shaders on the market.
When it comes to buying the best coil tattoo machine gun, you’ll have to do a lot of research, especially if you are a beginner. There is a long list of difficulties associated with coil machines and you want to find a gun that eliminates most of these issues.
Before you make your selection, keep the following in mind:
- Tattoo machines are the most expensive part of an artist’s kit. Considering this, you want a machine that is durable. Look at the coil tattoo machine’s structure and sturdiness and if possible, buy one that comes with a warranty.
- The frame of the machine is important. The material used to make the frame will determine if it is for you or not. For example, if you’re looking for a machine that doesn’t vibrate too much, then you’ll need to go for guns made from iron or brass that are more on the heavier side. For those still learning, aluminium and zinc frames are best as they are lighter in weight and easier to handle.
- The quality and length of a coil tattoo machine’s spring will determine how it handles and whether you’ll use it as a liner or shader. If you want to buy a liner, then the spring will be shorter; those meant for shading have a longer spring. Of course, coil tattoo machines—whether a liner or shader—can be set up to do both.
- Since coil tattoo machines are bigger and heavier than rotaries and other pen-style tattoo machines, you need to find a grip that suits your hand and won’t tire out your hand too soon during tattoo sessions.
All in all, the coil tattoo machine still has a place in the industry. They’re still good enough to deliver amazing results to your clients. Yes, their size and weight, as well as some other drawbacks may count against them, but if you do your homework and know how to set up and use a coil tattoo liner, you can tattoo without a care in the world.