Best.tattoo is reader-supported. When you buy via the links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.
Becoming a tattoo artist is not such a taboo thing to do anymore. Society is starting to accept that doing tattoos isn’t limited to prisons and tattoo shops in kitchens—it is a respectable profession that requires a lot of talent and skill.
With the influx of newbie tattoo artists over the years came the arrival of the tattoo kit—a collection of everything you need to start tattooing.
There are numerous tattoo kits to choose from but as artists who take their craft seriously, finding the best tattoo kit is what you should aspire to. It doesn’t matter if you’re a beginner or seasoned professional, the best tattoo kit you can get your hands on will help you create awe-inspiring tattoos. In other words, a high-quality tattoo machine and the correct tattoo accessories combined with talent is a win-win for both you and your customers.
In this article, we will share with you the best tattoo kits for beginners and professionals alike. What’s more, you’ll soon discover that you can start inking without spending too much money. There are cheap tattoo kits on the market that do the same great job as their high-end cousins.
So, with the sheer volume of tattoo supplies out there, don’t you agree that a tattoo kit is the best way to go, especially for beginner tattoo artists who are still finding their feet?
Different Types of Tattoo Kits
All tattoo kits include a collection of the basic tattoo supplies you need to start inking—some kits add in a few extras like fake skins, etc.
The most crucial tools and accessories in a tattoo kit include a tattoo machine, power supply, needles, grips, tattoo ink, and ink cups.
You also get tattoo kits that cater to various skill levels and their contents will vary depending on whether it is for beginners, intermediates, or professionals.
Beginner tattoo kits contain the most important things you need to get started. These kits are generally more affordable and include accessories specific to those who are still learning the craft, including how-to books and fake skins. These kits sometimes come with ink that isn’t 100% suitable for human skin, so just keep an eye out for that should you buy a beginner tattoo kit.
Intermediate tattoo kits are similar to beginner tattoo kits but usually include a few extra bits and bobs. These kits frequently come with two tattoo machines; one for lining and another for shading. The quality of the machines are better than those in the beginner kit and you can expect to pay more for intermediate tattoo kits. The ink in these kits is always ready for human skin.
Professional tattoo kits are the most advanced type of tattoo kit. The tattoo guns included in these kits are of superior quality and so are the other tattoo supplies you’ll be getting. It’s advised that beginners don’t buy a professional tattoo kit because not only is it highly expensive, the machines may require a level of tweaking they’re not familiar with.
Now that you have a better idea of the kinds of tattoo kits on the market, let’s help you further by listing the best of the best tattoo kits for beginners and professionals.
5 best tattoo kits for beginners and professionals
5 best tattoo kits for beginners and professionals
1. Dragonhawk Complete Tattoo Kit 4: Most Comprehensive
- DragonHawk Craft coils tattoo machines. Conventional Liner machine, Power Liner machine, Soft Shader machine, Color Packer machine. Copper coils with steel frame tattoo machines. The Craft tattoo machines designed by our brand with famous tattoo artists Gabe. Gabe Shum tested all Craft machines in tattooing for a long time. This kit made for tattooist that need make more styles tattoo work, this kit include all tattoo supplies easy to start tattooing.
- Digital DragonHawk tattoo power supply system provide quick and accurate activation/voltage adjustments. 50 Dragonhawk sterile EO tattoo needles, 304L stainless steel and clean soldering for optimal control results
- Tattoo practice skin .4 pcs steel tattoo machine grips .1 set of adjust tools and other attachments
- Immortal tattoo inks, made in USA, vegan friendly, smooth, vibrant, consistent, trusted.
- A big carry case with key, disposable grips and more tattoo supplies. Try the DRAGONHAWK tattoo kit Risk-Free with Our Guarantee - Satisfaction or Your Money Back
Dragonhawk is a reputable brand with a solid footing in the tattoo industry for the last 20 years. When you look at their tattoo machines, it’s clear that these guys and gals know what they are doing when it comes to manufacturing tattoo guns.
They have more than one tattoo kit on the market but in this kit, you’ll get four coil tattoo machines: a conventional liner, a power liner, a soft shader, and a color packer.
This makes this one of the best tattoo kits for beginners and professionals. What’s more, each machine is hand-tested and adjusted before being dispatched. You can unpack it and start tattooing with little or no fine-tuning needed—excellent news if you’re a newbie and feel a little intimidated by coil tattoo machines.
The coils are made from copper and the frame of the gun is made from steel. This combination equals durability. The power supply and foot pedal work together like a dream and will ensure your machine gets accurate power. The power supply has a jack for both the liner and a shader, which makes switching between machines as easy as pressing a single button.
This Dragonhawk Complete Tattoo Kit includes 10 bottles of high-quality tattoo ink that promises to deliver consistent and vibrant results. It also comes with fifty sterilized packed tattoo needles that are made from 304l stainless steel. Apart from that, you’ll get everything else you need to do tattoos, including color caps, grips, transfer paper, practice skin, and a lot more.
All this will arrive in an aluminum case complete with a lock and key to help keep your tattoo equipment safe.
2. GRINDER Tattoo Kit: Best for Beginners
- GREAT FOR BEGINNER, APPRENTICE, OR PROFESSIONAL TATTOO ARTISTS!
- 4 Tattoo Machine Gun - 10 coil / Includes FREE 240 page Tattoo Instructional Book & DVD COMBO
- UPDATED: 7 Bottles Radiant Colors Tattoo Ink - MADE IN THE USA
- Includes ALL Supplies - Carrying Case, Needles, Power, Ink Cups, Grips, Gloves, Directions, etc..
- 6 month warranty on power supply and tattoo machines
One thing is sure about the Pirate Face brand: they offer affordable products without compromising quality.
Their GRINDER tattoo kits mostly include two tattoo machines but in this specific kit, you get four tattoo guns designed for lining and shading. Considering the high-quality equipment and accessories in this kit, it is suited for beginner, apprentice, or professional tattoo artists.
Beginners, however, will benefit most since this kit includes a helpful 240-page instructional book that is often referred to as the “Tattoo Bible.”
The machines are made from high-grade metal and are very easy to work with. They’re quick to adjust and tune.
You also get fifty sterilized needles of different sizes and shapes to use for lining or shading. Each needle is packed in a separate package and sealed safe.
The ink that forms part of this tattoo kit is made from natural ingredients, is known for being radiant and is considered safe to use on skin. You will get seven 1/2oz bottles in the most commonly used colors.
The kit also includes disposable tips and nozzles, stainless steel tips, disposable gloves, tattoo ink cups, transfer paper, and many other must-have tattoo accessories.
Compared to the Dragonhawk Complete Tattoo Kit listed before, the price may seem a little excessive but keep in mind that the GRINDER tattoo kit includes a training guide that can help beginners when they’re struggling with some aspect of tattooing.
3. Dragonhawk Complete Tattoo Kit 2: Most Affordable
- This tattoo kit have two Dragonhawk tattoo machines for lining & shading and friendly beginner start tattooing life, Cast iron tattoo machine 10 wrap coils. Made of superior composite material, the spring is high-elastic and anti-fatigue for long-time working, made of copper coils.
- Dragonhawk tattoo needles, tips and more accessories for tattoo artist. This Dragonhawk tattoo needles diameter: #12. Polished, long taper; reliable for all-purpose work. One piece needle and plunger overmold allows for maximum stability and control. Ethylene oxide (EO) gas sterilized and individually packaged; single use only
- LED digital tattoo power supply with foot pedal and clip cord, provide quick and accurate activation/voltage adjustments. Improve your machine reliability and efficiency with smooth consistent power output from the Dragonhawk power box
- Complete Tattoo Kit: this Dragonhawk traditional tattoo kit aim to get each beginner easy learn how the tattoo machine works, take the first step in your tattooing life.
- Packaged: 2 pcs traditional coils tattoo machines, power supply, 20 pcs tattoo needles with tubes, steel and disposable grips, 10 pcs tattoo inks, foot pedal and tools. Dragonhawk tattoo supply made for tattoo artists, make easy tattooing. All items tested by professional tattoo artists.
Dragonhawk made the cut again! This time with a tattoo kit that contains two tattoo machines: a liner and a shader. If you’re on a budget and don’t want to splurge money on the Dragonhawk tattoo kit that includes four machines, then this is the next best thing.
In fact, if you’re a beginner, two tattoo machines are more than sufficient.
As with all Dragonhawk tattoo kits, you get coil tattoo machines made from high-quality metal. The spring on each machine is highly elastic, which means you won’t have a hard time adjusting and tuning your machines to match your requirements.
The kit also includes 10 bottles of superior tattoo ink known for their long-lasting color vivacity.
Basically, think of this tattoo kit as the smaller twin of the one mentioned before—it contains exactly the same tattoo accessories except for only having two tattoo guns.
4. Dragonhawk Complete Tattoo Kit 9: Highest Quality
- 9 starter tattoo machines kit, 10 wraps coils traditional machines can be set for lining and shading, working voltage at 7V-10V, The frame of the machine is made of high quality iron,special surface treatment,beautiful appearance. Lightweight and low vibrations,can work a long time without hand-tired.
- Immortal tattoo inks, vegan friendly, smooth, vibrant, consistent, trusted. The tattoo inks made in USA.
- 50 Dragonhawk tattoo needles. Ethylene Oxide gas sterilized and individually packaged. Wheel polished for exceptional shine and polish
- Dragonhawk tattoo power supply built-in short-circuit protection and leakage protection makes it safer, steadier and more powerful when tattooing. Tattoo power supply provide quick and accurate activation/voltage adjustments. Improve your machine reliability and efficiency with smooth consistent power output from the Dragonhawk power box
- Foot pedal with clip cord, ink cups, tattoo steel grips, 304 steel tips, adjust tools, practice skin, more tattoo supplies for beginner tattoo.
We weren’t joking when we said Dragonhawk had more than one tattoo kit on the market.
Considering the quality products this brand is known for, it is no surprise that they’re making yet another appearance on the list of best tattoo kits.
Most tattoo kits come with either two or four tattoo guns. This kit contains a whopping nine coil tattoo machines. But wait, five of these machines aren’t plain and boring looking, they’re covered in skulls, knives, and other tattoo-appropriate imagery. Your customers will know you mean business when you take these bad boys out.
Of the nine tattoo machines, four are meant for those who are still learning the craft. The other five are classic, hardy, and durable machines for when beginner artists are ready to graduate to the apprentice or professional level. This makes this one of the best tattoo kits for beginners and professionals.
The versatility of the power supply also needs to be mentioned—it can run all kinds of machines and delivers power accurately no matter what. It has built-in short-circuit protection, as well as leakage protection making this power supply safe, steady, and durable.
All in all, this is the highest quality tattoo kit you can buy and it won’t cost you an arm and a leg.
It includes all the other goodies that come with the other Dragonhawk tattoo kits.
5. Wormhole Complete Tattoo Kit: Free Replacements
- Complete professional tattoo kit is a good choice for BEGINNERS, LEARNERS, TATTOO ARTISTS.
- 1 x 8 wrap coils tattoo lining machine runs faster to create fine and precise line work ; 1 x 10 wrap coils tattoo shading machine has higher power to penetrate deep into the skin, creating vibrant and lasting color.
- A starter tattoo kit includes all tattoo supplies: tattoo machines, tattoo ink, tattoo needles, power supply, clip cord, foot pedal, ink caps, tips, grommets, o-rings, rubber bands,etc..
- You will get professional Online-Guide for how to set up the tattoo kit, free tattoo teaching video and numerous of tattoo designs.
- If the tattoo kit does not work well, please feel free to contact us to get the issues fixed. Furthermore, we guarantee free replacement service for all our products during warranty.
For beginners, this kit is a good way to build your tattoo business. It contains everything necessary to get tattooing at a very affordable price.
One of the main reasons why this tattoo kit is considered one of the best on the market is the free replacement service. Yes, you read right. Wormhole offers free replacements on all products in this kit for a whole year. That’s one way to help a budding tattoo artist get started!
The kit comes with two tattoo machines: one for lining and one for shading. The machines have a vibration frame and brass contacts, which guarantees smooth performance.
The power supply is good quality but the downside is that it isn’t digital. This means you’ll have to adjust your machine by ear—something beginners will find difficult. Luckily, Wormhole thought ahead and created an online guide, as well as video lectures to help their customers out.
Along with this, you get 10 tattoo inks, tattoo needles, tips, rubber bands, practice skin, and other common accessories required for tattooing. You’ll also find some anti-scar ointment in your kit which helps with the fast recovery of tattoos.
If you’re one for convenience, then buying a tattoo kit is the way to go. There’s no need to shop around gathering everything you need to get tattooing. The manufacturer does all the hard work for you; they select a tattoo machine (or two or more), the tattoo ink, grips, needles, tattoo ink cups, and everything else you will need to put the needle to skin.
Al you have to do is match your skill level with the tattoo kit you plan on buying, as well as consider the following factors:
- Material: Check to see that the materials used to make the machine and tattoo accessories are high-quality. Ideally, tattoo machines should be made from metal and the rest of the add-ons in the kit from high-quality plastic. This makes the kit worth every penny.
- Tattoo machine: How many tattoo machines do you get? Are they good quality? Are they versatile enough to do everything from lining to color packing? You also have to decide between coil tattoo machines or rotary tattoo machines. It’s recommended that beginner tattoo artists go for a rotary-type machine as they’re easier to use; coils take a lot of fine-tuning to get them to work as they should.
- Overall quality: Are all the products in the kit of equal quality or do you get a good quality tattoo machine but the ink leaves a lot to be desired? Match the quality and quantity of products with the price and make sure you’re not buying a below-par tattoo kit while there is a better option available on the market. The case should also be strong and durable to protect your tattoo tools.
We hope this article helps you make an informed choice. You deserve tattoo equipment that will make your talent shine.
Hopefully, you’ll find everything you need in one of the best tattoo kits for beginners and professionals listed above.