Best.tattoo is reader-supported. When you buy via the links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.
In today’s world, tattoos are mainstream; even your lips can be inked. Yes, lip tattoos are a thing, and they’re growing in popularity because of their unique look. But do lip tattoos go away? How long do lip tattoos last? Let’s find out!
Generally, lip tattoos will last anywhere from one to five years, but this can vary depending on the type of ink used, how often the tattoo is touched up, and other factors. If you’re looking for a long-lasting lip tattoo, be sure to choose an experienced and reputable artist, and follow the aftercare instructions carefully.
Here’s what you need to know about these tattoos and how long do lip tattoos last. So, if you’re on the fence about getting one, keep reading!
What Are Lip Tattoos?
Lip tattoos are a professional procedure that involves inserting color pigments into your lips with small tattooing needles. This may come in the form of tattoo art in your lip area or perhaps permanent make-up as an aesthetic procedure called cosmetic tattooing.
As with many other cosmetic procedures, they can be used to improve the look of your lips, make them look fuller, or add color to them. But the question is do lip tattoos fade away?
Lip tattoos are not like regular tattoos in that they are not inserted as deep into the skin. It is because the skin on the lips is thinner than on other parts of the body. As a result, lip tattoos tend to fade much quicker than regular tattoos.
How Long Do Lip Tattoos Last?
The lifespan of lip tattoos is relatively short compared to other types of tattoos. This is due to the rapid regeneration of mucosal cells that line the area; the ink is shed at a much faster rate. As a result, regular top-ups are required to keep the tattoo looking fresh. So, the question arises how long do inner lip tattoos last?
Well, it depends on how well you maintain your lip tattoos, but they can last anywhere between 1-5 years. That said, without proper maintenance, your lip tattoo will fade and eventually disappear.
On the other hand, the short lifespan of a lip tattoo may be its main appeal for some people. It provides an opportunity to get a tattoo of something you’re unsure of without having to commit to it forever.
What Factors Affect The Longevity Of A Lip Tattoo?
Several different factors can affect how long do lip tattoos last. These include the natural environment of the mouth, as well as how well the tattoo is cared for. Let’s discuss them briefly!
Regenerating Mouth Cells:
The mouth and lips are one of the moistest environments in the human body. Moisture makes it difficult for tattoos to adhere. The cells on the lips regenerate quickly, which also contributes to fading tattoos.
Sometimes lip tattoos fade away quickly due to the constant movement of the lips and the presence of saliva. This is especially true for lighter colors, such as pink and white. Darker colors, such as black and red, will usually last longer. Eventually, faded lip tattoos will disappear.
Touch-ups may be necessary to keep a lip tattoo looking fresh. Depending on the size and location of the tattoo, touch-ups can be done every few months or years.
Are There Any Risks Associated With Lip Tattoos?
Lip tattoos are generally considered to be a safe procedure. However, as with any tattoo, certain risks should be considered. These include:
- Infection: There is a risk of infection with any tattoo, but this is increased with lip tattoos because of the moisture in the mouth. Be sure to clean your lips thoroughly before and after your tattoo session, and avoid touching your lips with dirty hands.
- Allergic reaction: Some people may be allergic to the ink or other materials used in tattoos. If you experience any redness, swelling, or itching after your tattoo, seek medical attention immediately.
- Scarring: There is a risk of scarring with any tattoo, but this is increased with lip tattoos because of the delicate skin in this area.
- Difficulty eating or drinking: Lip tattoos can make it difficult to eat and drink, as the ink can come off on your food or straw.
If you’re thinking of getting inked on your lips, consider these aftercare tips to help your tattoo last as long as possible:
- Choose an experienced artist: A seasoned professional tattoo artist will know how deep to insert the ink and which colors hold up best over time.
- Go dark on the color: Vibrant shades may look great initially, but they’re more likely to fade than darker ones. If you want a bold look, ask your artist to use a darker hue and go easy on the shading.
- Avoid alcohol before your session: Drinking can thin your blood and make it harder for the ink to set.
- Skip the lip balm: Ointments can trap bacteria and irritate, so it’s best to steer clear for the first few days. After that, make sure to opt for a hypoallergenic balm without fragrances or dyes.
- Stay hydrated: Drinking plenty of water helps keep your skin healthy, which in turn prevents your tattoo from fading.
- Protect your lips: When you’re out in the sun, make sure to apply a lip balm with SPF 30 or higher.
- Be patient: Lip tattoos can take a few weeks to heal, so don’t be alarmed if your color looks patchy at first. After the tattoo healing process is complete, it should settle into a more uniform shade.
It’s now clear to you how long do lip tattoos last. Depending on the type of tattoo and the care you take of it, they will likely fade or disappear within1-5 years.
When ink fades or peels, wait until the area has healed before reapplying. Think twice before getting one if you aren’t prepared for the commitment!