Best.tattoo is reader-supported. When you buy via the links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.
The pain associated with getting a tattoo can be off-putting to a lot of folks who want to get inked. Thankfully, tattoo numbing sprays and lotions can open the world of tattoos to anyone who is afraid of it hurting too much.
There is a huge variety of tattoo numbing products on the market—that’s a good thing. Of course, with so many options to choose from, it is easy to get confused.
In this article, we share with you the best numbing tattoo sprays according to experts. But before we jump into reviewing numbing spray for tattoos, let’s have a quick look at how these products work and what to expect.
A Quick Insight into Tattoo Numbing Sprays
Tattoo numbing sprays work exactly the same as topical anaesthetic creams; the biggest difference is in how you apply them. Creams also take longer to work, while numbing sprays take effect quicker but last for a shorter time—half an hour to an hour max.
These sprays are meant to provide pain relief. It’s able to do this thanks to Lidocaine, the main ingredient in tattoo numbing spray or lotions. Lidocaine is a type of nerve deadener that stops nerves from identifying pain. In the instances that the nerves do recognize pain, it is at significantly lower levels.
In addition to Lidocaine, a lot of tattoo numbing sprays also contain benzocaine, which aids in pain blocking, and phenylephrine, an ingredient that constricts the blood vessels where the spray lands, preventing the numbing effect from spreading too far.
The tattoo numbing sprays we cover in this article are all available over the counter or online. They aren’t as strong as the ones used by medical practitioners but they’re good enough to take the edge off of small procedures that are generally tolerable—like getting a tattoo.
Now that we covered that, let’s jump into reviewing the best numbing sprays for tattoos.
6 Best Tattoo Numbing Sprays on the Market
6 Best Tattoo Numbing Sprays on the Market
1. Ebanel 5% Lidocaine Spray: Long-Lasting Numbing Effect
- The Dragonhawk Mast rotary tattoo pen machine made of Space Aluminum frame and custom motor. Length: 11.7CM. Weight: 120g.
- 50 Pcs Extreme tattoo needle cartridges. The cartridges sizes: 1203RL, 1205RL, 1207RL, 1203RS, 1205RS, reliable for all-purpose work. One piece needle and plunger overmold allows for maximum stability and control. Membrane mechanism prevents ink spitback. The membrane and tip of these needles allow artists to enjoy a more fluid tattooing procedure
- Basic dragonhawk tattoo power supply is very easy connect and keep machine running stable.
This tattoo numbing spray contains the maximum dose of Lidocaine. If you want something stronger than the 5% approved for over-the-counter, then you will have to go to a doctor for a prescription.
Ebanel also contains Liposomal, which helps the spray penetrate the skin faster. At most, this tattoo numbing spray takes 25 minutes to start working and the effects can last for up to two hours.
We appreciate the fact that this product is not tested on animals, contains no harmful additives, and is paraben-free. Even though this tattoo numbing cream is ultra-safe, it still comes in a child-proof bottle should it get into your little one’s hands.
Usually, it is recommended that you don’t apply numbing cream after the tattoo has been done but Ebanel is an exception.
We do have to mention that it may irritate sensitive skin, so best to do a patch test a day or two before your tattoo session.
Why choose Ebanel?
- It has a non-toxic formula.
- It’s cruelty-free.
- It’s non-greasy and easy to apply.
- You can use it after getting tattooed.
2. GiGI Anesthetic Numbing Spray: Best for Sensitive Skin
- No More Waxing Pain & Discomfort: Reduces pain by anesthetizing different areas of your body before a hair removal session in as little as 1 minute with this easy to apply anesthetic numbing solution
- Salon-grade Formulation: Ideal for professional use by an esthetician at the spa or for regular use as a
- Skin-soothing Ingredients: Desensitize with the power of benzocaine and soothe with comforting chamomile; packed with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties to help prevent skin from irritation and redness during and after waxing
- Handy and Easy to Use Numbing Spray: 4 ounces of this convenient desensitizing solution that is perfect for use anytime and anywhere you need to have a wax appointment
- Trusted Brand: Maker of top-notch waxing products with easy-to-follow instructions perfect for beginners and at-home treatments; GiGi has been a leader in the hair removal industry for over 40 years; 100% cruelty-free and never tested on animals
This is a fast-acting tattoo numbing spray—you will feel the numbing effects within three minutes of applying the product. In 30 minutes, you can expect to experience maximum pain relief. GiGi is made in the US and contains 4% Lidocaine.
If you have sensitive skin, then we recommend you give this tattoo numbing cream a shot. Also, don’t worry about any negative effects if you apply this numbing spray in more delicate areas. It is formulated so that even the most sensitive areas can be targeted with its powerful pain relief.
All in all, this is a safe tattoo numbing cream that professional artists the world over recommend to their clients.
What makes Gigi one of the best numbing sprays for tattoos?
- It’s made with sensitive skin in mind.
- It’s fast-acting.
- It’s made in the US.
- It’s recommended by tattoo professionals.
3. Base Labs Lidocaine Numbing Spray for Tattoos: Boosted Numbing Effect
- ✨ PAIN FREE TATTOOS & PIERCINGS - Our tattoo spray numbing completely numbs the often unbearable pain of getting a tattoo! With 4% lidocaine it’s close to the highest allowed amount in non prescription topical lidocaine spray. On top of that it has many supporting agents like menthol, arginine & allantoin which take away even more pain and help your skin recover from the procedure you’re undergoing. It’s the perfect alternative to regular tattoo numbing cream or common menthol spray.
- 💁🏼♀️ PAIN FREE WAXING & MICRONEEDLING - Beauty knows no pain. And finally it’s true! Our numbing spray for waxing takes away the pain from waxing and microneedling. With many ingredients which excel the numbing effect of lidocaine and provide you with a cooling effect like menthol similar to cold spray for numbing. Infused with arginine & allantoin to protect your skin from rashes that often occur with other sprays like magnesium spray for pain or vasocaine numbing spray.
- 🤰🏼 SOOTHES AFTER BIRTH PAIN - Our postpartum spray is the perfect addition to your hospital bag or home birth kit! It helps you to stay clean and healthy post birth. The Base Labs postpartum numbing spray can easily be applied without touching your most sensitive area to avoid any irritation. The formula of our perineal spray postpartum makes it perfect for postpartum relief and to reduce perineal discomfort before and after childbirth. Numbing spray postpartum & postpartum spray pain relief.
- 💵 HUGE VALUE - Stop paying outrageous premiums for tiny cans! We offer the best value & most effective tattoo & piercing numbing spray! Other brands exploit the pain of their customers & charge crazy amounts for 2 oz cans - knowing that you’ll need much more than that for effective treatment. Our numbing spray for piercing & tattoos contains 4 oz! It also comes with the highest strength allowed for OTC sprays of 4%. Lidocaine 10 percent spray is only available through prescription.
- 🔒 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - Try our lidocaine spray absolutely risk free! If at any point in time - for whatever reason - you’re unhappy with your new lidocaine spray / postpartum spray bottle, just contact us! We’ll either refund you in full, send you a free replacement or work with you until you’re completely satisfied! Beyond Amazons regular return window and even when you already used it! Just message us and we’ll take good care of you 🙋🏼
This tattoo numbing spray contains menthol on top of the 4% Lidocaine. Menthol not only has a numbing effect, but it also calms and soothes the skin—perfect for when you get a tattoo.
It has a fast-acting formula that only takes 15 minutes to start working. That being said, to ensure that you get the full effect, apply it 30 minutes before sitting for your tattoo. You’re also more than welcome to re-apply should the effects start wearing off before your tattoo is completed.
The product is non-toxic and safe to use on sensitive skin.
Why choose this as your tattoo numbing spray?
- It smells better than other numbing products.
- It is fine to use if you have sensitive skin.
- It contains Allantoin and Arginine to shield you from any side effects Lidocaine may have on you.
4. Bactine Max Pain Relieving Cleansing Spray: All-Rounder
- PAIN RELIEF & FIRST AID: Bactine MAX Pain Relieving Cleansing Spray is an antiseptic spray that brings immediate pain relief & itch relief to minor scrapes, cuts & burns while cleansing & protecting minor wounds from infection without stinging or burning.
- FOR MINOR WOUND CARE: Bactine MAX Pain Relieving Cleansing Spray effectively helps kill germs & prevent skin infection in minor cuts, scrapes, scratches, & burns. Pain relief & non-stinging formula makes Bactine MAX a good first aid solution for children.
- PAIN RELIEF ANTISEPTIC: Spray Bactine MAX Pain Relieving Cleansing Spray onto scrapes, scratches, minor cuts & wounds, & burns, relieving pain & soothing itching while helping to protect broken skin from infection & germs, helping minor wounds to heal.
- EASY TO USE WOUND CLEANSER: Convenient, easy spray bottle makes it quick to apply this liquid & give fast pain relief while cleaning minor wounds. Unlike hydrogen peroxide, Bactine Pain Relieving Cleansing Spray helps relieve pain while it gently cleanses.
If you’re looking for a tattoo numbing spray with multi-uses, then Bactine Max is for you. Not only does it take away pain, but it also reduces redness and swelling, and will prevent possible itching caused by sweat or plasma leaking after covering your tattoo in cling film. There’s more; it’s also a powerful antiseptic.
When it comes to packaging, it comes in a no-touch spray bottle.
In general, Bactine Max is a wonder numbing spray. The only negative is that the full list of ingredients isn’t disclosed. Still, the manufacturers claim the product is safe for children over two as well.
Why did Bactine Max make the list of best tattoo numbing sprays?
- It is more than just a numbing spray; it reduces inflammation, irritation, redness, and itching also.
- It’s suitable for all skin types.
- It kills 99% of all germs on your skin.
- It’s gentle.
5. Uber Numb Numbing Spray: Endorsed by Professionals
- Maximum Painkilling Power: Count on this topical numbing spray for super-strong pain relief. Its secret? 5% lidocaine, the largest dose allowed by the FDA for a non-prescription anesthetic.
- Works Faster & Longer: As soon as you apply your lidocaine spray, it starts absorbing into your skin. By 20-25 minutes it reaches full numbing effect. Keeps numbing for as long as 2 hours.
- Non-Oily Formula: Forget those sticky gels & greasy creams that can stain your clothes & bedding. This water-based anesthetic never feels greasy or cakey... and it won't leave an oily residue.
- Made in USA & 100% Guaranteed: Trust this skin-numbing cream for lasting relief & all-American value. Unhappy for any reason? We'll gladly refund your full purchase price, no questions asked, no time limit.
This is the ultimate tattoo numbing spray according to the experts. If you ask a tattoo artist if they’ve heard of Uber Numb, chances are they’ll answer yes, followed by a list of reasons why it truly is the best tattoo numbing product on the market.
It contains 5% Lidocaine, which you know is the maximum quantity allowed according to the FDA. It is water-based, so you won’t have to worry about surprise oil stains on your clothes or oily gunk on your tattoo artist’s furniture after you get up.
This anaesthetic spray reaches full potency in 20 to 30 minutes and will keep fighting the pain for up to two hours. But don’t worry, if your experience with Uber Numb isn’t a good one, they’ll refund you—no questions asked. That shows us one thing: they trust their product delivers.
Why choose Uber Numb as your topical numbing agent?
- It is strong—contains 5% Lidocaine.
- It works for up to two hours.
- It isn’t oily and won’t stain clothes.
- You get your money back if you’re unhappy.
6. Hush Anesthetic Spray: Fastest and Longest Acting
This tattoo numbing spray starts to work as soon as it hits the skin and continues to do so for the next 40 to 60 minutes. The more sensitive your skin, the longer the numbing effect will last. Some users have reported a numbing sensation for as long as four hours!
This gives your tattoo artist anything from one hour to four hours uninterrupted tattoo time and you a painless tattoo session.
Another noteworthy difference that makes Hush stand out is the fact that it is one of the few tattoo numbing products that you can use on cuts and wounds. So, now you have one less reason to cancel your tattoo session.
You can get this product in two sizes, which is wonderful news for your wallet—if you’re getting a small tattoo you don’t have to splurge on the 4 oz bottle but can opt for the 2 oz instead.
What makes Hush one of the best tattoo numbing sprays?
- It’s stronger than most numbing products.
- It’s fast-acting and long-lasting.
- You can use it even when you have broken skin.
- It is water-based.
It’s no secret that you’re going to experience some discomfort or pain when you get a tattoo. Using a tattoo numbing spray will make the tattoo experience more enjoyable.
It’s as easy as spritzing on 20 minutes or so before your tattoo session depending on the brand of skin numbing spray.
Although these sprays are safe when used properly, guard against applying too much as it may irritate your skin and increase your risk of having an allergic reaction. It’s also recommended that you test the spray before you apply it on your big day to make sure you’re not allergic to Lidocaine or any other of the ingredients. You had to do a lot of planning to get a tattoo and you don’t want something meant to make you more comfortable to end up spoiling your session.
We also have to give a word of caution. Do not apply tattoo numbing spray or lotion if you have any cuts or wounds. The open skin enables the product to enter the bloodstream and spread through your body. This can result in breathing issues, coma, and death.
Lastly, remember to have a chat with your tattoo artist before using any numbing agents. There are tattoo artists who refuse to tattoo skin that has been numbed, while others prefer you use specific brands of tattoo numbing sprays.