Best.tattoo is reader-supported. When you buy via the links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.
Choosing the best machine for you is a milestone when you’re a newbie tattoo artist. Not only do you have to choose whether you want a coil tattoo machine or a rotary tattoo machine, but now there’s another option to throw into the mix: Pen tattoo machines. So, when it comes to tattoo machines, things can get complicated pretty fast.
Many seasoned tattoo artists don’t have just one instrument for their craft; they modify existing equipment, combine parts of different tattoo machines, and continually tinker to create the perfect machine for their needs.
As a beginner tattoo artist, you’re not quite ready to create your own custom tools and have to rely on what is on the market. Luckily, there are plenty of ready-made options for you to choose from.
The rotary tattoo machine has revolutionized the tattoo industry and the pen-style rotary has taken things a step further. In this article, we help you choose the best tattoo pen kit on the market to fit your tattooing needs.
But first, why choose tattoo pens?
- They’re lightweight and easy to use for extended tattoo sessions.
- They’re virtually silent and don’t vibrate.
- They’re versatile and one machine can be used for shading and lining.
- They make the transition from pen to tattoo machine seamless.
If you decide that this is the type of machine you want, then read on! In this article, we share with you the best tattoo pen kits on the market in 2023.
Buyers Guide: Best Tattoo Pen Kit for 2023
There isn’t the best tool for tattooing; only the right tool for you. You want to choose a tattoo machine that compliments your skill while feeling comfortable in your hand.
Tattoo artists have their own quirks and preferences, so below you’ll find a roundup of the tattoo pet kits used and loved in the industry.
It is a mix of professional tattoo pen kits which are on the pricier side, as well as tattoo pen starter kits for beginners who don’t yet have the finances to splurge on high-end equipment. One thing is certain, the quality of all tattoo pen kits listed below is good enough to make your talent shine.
5 Best Tattoo Pen Kits
1. Dragonhawk Mast Pen Machine: Best Tattoo Pen Kit for Beginners
- The Dragonhawk Mast rotary tattoo pen machine made of Space Aluminum frame and custom motor. Length: 11.7CM. Weight: 120g.
- 50 Pcs Extreme tattoo needle cartridges. The cartridges sizes: 1203RL, 1205RL, 1207RL, 1203RS, 1205RS, reliable for all-purpose work. One piece needle and plunger overmold allows for maximum stability and control. Membrane mechanism prevents ink spitback. The membrane and tip of these needles allow artists to enjoy a more fluid tattooing procedure
- Basic dragonhawk tattoo power supply is very easy connect and keep machine running stable.
Often, translating your skill in drawing to skin can be hard, especially since tattoo machines are generally bulky and heavy. What makes tattoo pens so great is that it feels like holding an actual pen.
The Dragonhawk Mast Pen Machine weighs no more than 120 grams. To put things into perspective: a normal pen weighs between 20-25 grams and a coil tattoo machine just under 250 grams. So, it will be easier for you to get used to using a tattoo pen than a coil tattoo machine when you first start.
It’s good to note that the small size of tattoo pens should make you question their power. You don’t have to worry; you’re not sacrificing any power and can expect reliable and consistent output.
The Dragonhawk Mast also has a curved end, which is great when you’re working on an intricate design with many twists and turns. Its clear tip also makes it easy for you to see where you’re inking.
Other aspects of tattoo pens that are great are their silence and the absence of vibration. Your hands won’t get tired due to the constant juddering, which means better linework for longer periods. Of course, the fact that you and your client will experience peace and quiet during the session is something you may or may not like—some tattoo artists don’t feel at home without the constant buzz of their coil tattoo machines.
What’s in this tattoo pen kit for beginners?
- You get the Dragonhawk Mast rotary tattoo pen machine made of space aluminium.
- 50pcs extreme tattoo needle cartridges in sizes 3RL, 5RL, 7RL, 3RS and 5RS
- Basic tattoo power supply and DC clip cor
- Foot pedal
- 10 mini tattoo inks
What makes the Dragonhawk Mast Pen Machine one of the best tattoo pen starter kits?
- It’s affordable.
- It’s great for beginners.
- It’s versatile and can be used as a liner, shader, and color-packer.
- It packs a punch.
- It’s noiseless and vibration-free.
2. Dragonhawk Atom Complete Tattoo Pen Kit: Best Value for Money
- Dragonhawk Tattoo Pen Kit: It has main supplies to start your tattoo work, the tattoo pen has 3.5mm stroke length that better for starter get easy tattoo lining and shading, permanent makeup work.
- Professional Tattoo Kit: All Dragonhawk tattoo supplies tested by pro artists. We provide all pro tattoo supplies for beginner. cartridges needles are Ethylene oxide (EO) gas sterilized and individually packaged. Atom tattoo pen used with our pro team to tattooing.
- All Tattoo Supplies Quality Warranty: the all parts in this tattoo kit have been tested before sent out. There are three procedures for quality inspection in Dragonhawk factory. If you have any products problem, Dragonhawk world wide customer service can help you soon.
- Dragonhawk Tattoo Pen and Cartridges Needles: tattoo pen machine has 3.5mm stroke length, continuous operation, Low noise, Long-lasting stability, Light weight, unibody. This Dragonhawk tattoo cartridges needles diameter: #12. Polished, long taper; reliable for all-purpose work. One piece needle and plunger overmold allows for maximum stability and control.
- Package include: 1pc Pen Rotary Tattoo Machine with DC Clip Cord, 1pc Power Supply with cable, 20pcs assorted sizes Cartridge Needles 1pc Foot Pedal
There’s a reason why Dragonhawk is on the list twice: It’s a brand known for their quality tattoo kits at affordable prices.
The Dragonhawk Atom offers great value for money. The tattoo pen weighs only 135 grams but has enough power to help you create solid lines. In fact, the Atom has an insanely powerful motor and comes with an advanced gear system.
This tattoo pen can pair with any power supply since it comes with an RCA connector. We appreciate this as it doesn’t limit your connectivity to Dragonhawk products only.
To help limit vibrations, the pen has a unibody chassis. Considering all the bells and whistles of the Atom, you are guaranteed longer and more comfortable tattoo sessions that lead to brilliant tattoos. This tattoo pen is powerful but at an affordable price. As far as tattoo machines go, that is a winning combination!
What do you get in this affordable tattoo pen kit?
- The Atom tattoo pen
- Dragonhawk power supply and DC clip cord
- 20pcs assorted needle cartridges
- Foot pedal
- 10 mini inks
Why choose the Dragonhawk Atom as your tattoo pen kit?
- It has an RCA connection.
- Its maximum output is 15V, which means it is a great liner but can easily be adjusted to allow for shading.
- It has a powerful motor.
- It’s affordable.
- It’s compatible with different kinds of needle cartridges.
3. Stigma Tattoo Machine Pen Kit: Ultimate Pick for Beginners
- STIGMA tattoo kit ,1 rotary tattoo pen with japanese motor ，the length of the needle can be adjusted regularly.
- Each of the tattoo machine is CNC-Machined by aircraft Aluminium alloy,low noise,strong and stable to work, no hot for long time working.
- 20 PCS stigma tattoo cartridges ,a high quality RCA connector cords, digital power supply,100 pcs disposable covers.
- A professional rotary tattoo gun kit for tattoo artist , suitable for all tattoo cartridge of the market
- CE certification, one year warranty;Please keep the machine working under 12V to protect the power supply and the machine gun
Usually, when you buy equipment created by someone in the industry, you can be certain that you’re getting a machine with the tattoo artist in mind. This is exactly what the Stigma tattoo pen brings to the party—it was created by a tattoo artist.
One area where this is clear is the size of the tattoo pen; it’s so small it’s hard to believe that it will have enough power to perform. However, although it has a compact build, it is a heavy little machine, which will take you a little longer to get used to. If you can look past the tattoo pen’s weight, the straightforward switch between lining and shading can be considered one of the machine’s other standout features. All you need to do is turn a dial and you’ll be ready to go!
Ultimately, the Stigma is a durable tattoo pen that has a sleek and minimalist design that just oozes professionalism. You can use a variety of cartridge needles on this tattoo pen, which is another win.
What do you get in the Stigma tattoo pen kit?
- The Stigma tattoo pen comes complete with a Japanese motor.
- 20 pcs Stigma tattoo needle cartridges
- Digital power supply and RCA connector cords
- Foot pedal
- 100pcs disposable covers
- Carry case
Why choose the Stigma as your tattoo pen kit?
- It’s a durable machine.
- You can pair various need cartridges with it.
- A dial switches the machine from lining to shading and vice versa.
- It has a professional design.
4. Solong Tattoo Pen: Professional Quality
Solong is known as one of the best tattoo machine brands in the industry. There’s no doubt that their tattoo pen has cemented this belief among tattoo artists. It is a top-performing tattoo pen with a comfortable weight and snug grip.
The tattoo pen’s frame is made from aluminium alloy and this adds stability to the machine. No one wants a tattoo with choppy lines, right?
The Solong tattoo gun also doesn’t overheat easily, so you can tattoo for as long as your hand and eyes can stand it. Given the tattoo pen’s low noise and no vibration levels, the only thing that can stop you is fatigue.
This tattoo pen can pair with any power unit, which is great since you won’t have the unnecessary expense of buying Solong-specific units when your old ones break. Saving money is always a good thing.
What is in the Solong tattoo pet kit?
- The Solong tattoo pen
- Digital power supply and RCA connectors
- 40pcs assorted needle cartridges
- Foot pedal
Why choose Solong?
- They offer professional equipment at affordable prices.
- You get a six-month warranty.
- Tattoo pen works on different power units.
- It doesn’t overheat easily.
5. Hawink Wireless Tattoo Pen: Most Reliable Option
- HAWINK rotary tattoo machine made of aluminum alloy,light and portable, easy to hold.Liner and shader All available,low vibration and high power,compatible with all cartridge needles.
- The battery has a capacity of 1500mAH, Fully charged, Run 5 to 11 volts 5-level adjustment.Lithium battery lasts 3-6 hours depending on your voltage and motor.
- Equipped with 4 different needles, 5PC for each,totally 20pc cartridges needles. RL3,RL5 for lining, and RM7,MI9 for shading. Easy to install, fast rebound, individual package.Semi-transparent, convenient to observe.
- The tattoo Kit contain suitcase,it have big space. It can be used for carry this tattoo kit, or you can used as a small suitcase for go out or travel, andr it can be buckled on a trolley case, which is very convenient to carry.
- Customer satisfaction is our unceasing pursuit,If you have any problems about the tattoo kit, whether how to use,or the set have any problems,please feel free to contact us. we will help you to solve your problems as soon as.
We just had to include a wireless option. The freedom that comes when cables are removed is remarkable. Gone are the days of cables getting hooked and you getting tangled. Of course, the Hawink CHC-X-W tattoo pen is not only wireless, but it’s also one of the most reliable tattoo pens on the market. It is known for its reliability and power, as well as its affordable price point. Well, affordable as far as wireless tattoo pens go.
The tattoo pen has an ergonomic design with a grip that feels just right in your hand. The fact that the grip is a tad larger than the pen’s body and has a ribbed surface, means you have more control over the tattoo pen.
The Hawink has a 900 mAh lithium battery that will go from empty to fully charged in less than two hours. If you do happen to have two batteries on hand, you can swap one out for the other with ease.
This tattoo pen has a stroke wheel, which means you’re not limited to just lining but can change it to fit whichever tattoo effect you’re going for. You can also easily adjust the needle depth.
What is in the Hawink CHC-X-W wireless tattoo pen kit?
- The wireless tattoo pen.
- Two power bolts.
- Type-C cord
- 2pcs stroke cam (3mm+4mm)
- 100pcs clip cord covers
- 3 boxes needle cartridges
- Professional user manual
Why choose this tattoo pen kit?
- It’s wireless.
- It’s reliable.
- You get a one-year warranty
- Battery charges to full in two hours.
- It’s affordable.
- It offers accurate and consistent performance
Whether you’re just starting out or have been tattooing for years, owning a tattoo pen is highly recommended. Not only will you be able to tattoo for longer due to the pen’s size and weight, the fact that these machines are virtually noiseless and don’t vibrate also contributes to your stamina.
Since you also need a few other essentials, we recommend you buy a tattoo pen kit to ensure you have everything you need to run your new equipment. There are various tattoo pen kits on the market, ranging from tattoo pen kits for beginners to those made up with professionals in mind.
The tattoo pen kits listed in the article are from some of the top brands in the industry and you can rest assured that you’ll get a high-performing, quality machine when you buy one of these kits. If you haven’t seen anything that you like, read some more tattoo pen reviews. There is something out there for you, guaranteed.