Best.tattoo is reader-supported. When you buy via the links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.
Tattoo needles are a staple in any tattoo artist’s kit. Without it, the ink wouldn’t be able to penetrate the skin and tattoos would be nothing but temporary drawings.
As a tattoo artist, you want to use tattoo needles that are made with care and detail, and equally importantly, packaged with hygiene and safety in mind. If you don’t make sure to check the quality of your tattoo needles, you can damage your clients’ skins or send them home with a blood-borne disease.
Thankfully, we share with you the best professional tattoo needles for lining so you can rest assured that you’re using high-quality, safe needles only. Talking about safety, always check for a blue dot or an expiry date on the packaging and that it is still sealed after receiving them. A blue dot shows that the needles have been sterilized, which is a necessity if you want to build a reputation as a safety-conscious tattoo artist.
Before we share our favorite tattoo lining needles with you, let’s look at some of the things you need to consider before buying tattoo needles.
Quick Tattoo Needle Buyers Guide
A thorough inspection of the tattoo needles and investigation into their performance is crucial before you decide on a brand. You’ll be using these tattoo needles for lining daily and to be sure that you’re selecting needles you know will do your tattoo justice, there are some attributes you can look out for: quality, design, versatility, and safety.
Quality is key. If you use a tattoo needle of substandard quality that hasn’t been soldered onto the needle bar security or bends easily, it may rip into your client’s skin, causing pain and discomfort. This also means the tattoo will take longer to heal and it may scar. You need to consistently do a quality check on your needles—new and old.
There are different kinds of tattoo needles. Before you buy any, you need to make sure that they are compatible with your tattoo machine. Regular tattoo needles don’t work on all tattoo machines as some machines use tattoo cartridges. You also need to keep in mind that the rubes and tips you have should match the needle gauge and size, as well.
When you buy tattoo needles, they come in a pack. It is recommended that you choose a pack that contains more than one kind of tattoo needle. This way, you’ll have all the types of needles you need from the start to finish of a tattoo.
We touched on this already but we can’t emphasize it enough. You need to check that the tattoo needle you use is sterilized before it goes into human flesh. Nowadays, most needles are pre-sterilized but if they’re not, you need to own an autoclave so that you can sterilize them properly yourself. As mentioned, check for a blue dot or an expiration date on the packaging.
Okay, let’s get down to business and list the best tattoo needles for lining.
6 Best Tattoo Needles For Lining overview
6 Best Tattoo Needles For Lining
- 50 pcs Mixed Assorted Tattoo Needle Cartridges - Includes are a mix of #10 Bugpin RL needles.
- 10pcs each of: 1003RL, 1005RL, 1007RL, 1009RL, 1011RL
- Compatible with All Rotaries/Coiled machine as well as Hawk machines.
- Rubber band loaded cartridges, with plastic membrane so that tattoo ink won't flow back to the tubes.
- Each Needle Cartridge Individually Packed and Sealed.
You need different size needles to do your job properly. Some clients want intricate tattoos with thin lines, while others ask for bold lines. To make sure you can cater to their needs, the Big Wasp kit contains an assortment of high-quality disposable tattoo needle cartridges. You will get ten pieces each of 3RL, 5RL, 7RL, 9RL, and 11RL.
Each needle cartridge comes in its own sealed package and they’re compatible with all rotary tattoo machines. The needle cartridges are lightweight and will last you a long time. They are rubber band-loaded and have a plastic membrane to stop the ink from flowing back into the tube.
The company is willing to replace your product if you’re unhappy, alternatively, they’ll refund your money.
- This Dragonhawk tattoo cartridges needles diameter: #12. Polished, long taper; reliable for all-purpose work. One piece needle and plunger overmold allows for maximum stability and control.
- Membrane mechanism prevents ink spitback. The membrane and tip of these needles allow artists to enjoy a more fluid tattooing procedure; Compatible with all rotaries/coiled machine, pen style tattoo machine. Comes in 20pcs
- Ethylene oxide (EO) gas sterilized and individually packaged; single use only
- Indentation at tip enhances ink flow and saturation. High quality silicone to keep the needle elastic. Cartridges body with transparent that allows you to see all of your inner and quantity of ink that goes into the nozzle, Unexpected surprise.
- Compatible with all rotary and pen style tattoo machines, as well as Hawk machines and grips.
If you’re looking for the best disposable tattoo needle cartridges, then these Dragonhawk needles are just what you need. It offers excellent steadiness thanks to a one-piece needle and plunger overmold.
The needle system also prevents ink spit-back. Furthermore, these tattoo needle cartridges are compatible with all rotary and pen-style tattoo machines.
The tattoo cartridges are individually packed and sealed to ensure your client’s safety. The needles are super high quality and are sharp enough to pierce but not shred the skin.
If you consider yourself a professional artist, then these needles belong in your kit. They’re affordable and truly one of our favorite tattoo needles for lining although they’re reliable to use for all types of tattooing.
Dragonhawk also offers a money-back guarantee.
- High quality surgical stainless steel
- Needles marked with lot #, size, sterilization and expiry dates
- Built in proof of sterilization (EO gas indicating dot)
- Individually blister-packed sterile tattoo needles
- Standard-length loop bars to fit all machines and tubes
These needles are made from high-quality surgical steel that has been carefully treated. They come in standard length and fit all kinds of machines and cylinders. When it comes to safety, ACE needles are pre-disinfected with ethylene oxide gas.
The needles are so sharp, they’re recommended for stick-and-poke tattoos; of course, that makes them perfect for lining, as well. An added bonus of using sharp needles is that the tattoos won’t hurt as much for your clients!
The manufacturer is devoted to supplying only premium tattoo accessories. For that reason, they are willing to refund your money or replace the needles if you’re unhappy with the quality of the product.
- CE certificated, sterilized 316 surgical stainless steel needle tip
- Individual packed, pre-sterilized with Ethylene Oxide (E.O.) gas for safe use
- Shading and lining assortment; Round, Flat & Magnum groupings, altogether 200pcs, 10pcs each
- Good for professional tattoo master or use on practice skin, each needle is for single use only
- Aviod humidity and high temperature for storage
Professionals love using BIGTEDDY tattoo needles for lining on fake skin while they’re training their apprentices. But that doesn’t mean they should be limited to training only—these needles can be used on skin and will deliver stellar results.
BIGTEDDY needles aren’t bowed, they’re incredibly sharp, and they’re perfect for lining and shading. The edges are smooth and the needle performs fantastically.
As with the other needle manufacturers on this list so far, BIGTEDDY offers a refund or replacement option if you receive needles that were damaged in the post.
- Package includes 10 pieces of each size: 3RL, 5RL, 7RL, 9RL, 3RS, 5RS, 7RS, 9RS, 5M1, 7M1
- 100 Mixed Professional Grade Tattoo Needles
- Variety of Round Liner, Round Shader, Magnum Shader Tattoo Needles
- Made with Medical Grade Stainless Steel (#12 standard size needles)
- Individually blister packaged and Stamped with expiration date
Pirate Face is a well-known brand in the tattoo industry. They’re known for great quality products at affordable prices. Their tattoo needles are no exception. In this tattoo needle kit, you get 100 hardened, medical-grade stainless steel tattoo needles in different sizes.
Each needle is individually wrapped and bundled in a sterile rankle pack. You can look for lapse dates on each of the packages to ensure your needles are still safe to use.
The gathering on the liner needles is tight, making precise lining a breeze.
All in all, Pirate Face needles are hygienic, precise, and affordable.
- Safe & Healthy: Wormhole Tattoo needles are made of high quality 316 medical stainless steel. Packaged and sterilized individually.
- Fine Workmanship: Leveling Soldering, burr free, and sharp needle tips. Suitable for tastick and poke tattoo work.
- Useful & Quality: Every tattoo needle is checked by microscope strictly to make sure the high utilization and quality.
- Disposable: Wormhole Tattoo needles are only for single use. If the individual package is broken, please do not use.
- Various Sizes Available: 1RL, 3RL, 5RL, 7RL, 9RL, 11RL; 3RS, 5RS, 7RS, 9RS; 5MG, 7MG, 9MG, 11MG, 13MG, 15MG. Wormhole tattoo needles are different size meet different demands. You can choose in size chart.
Of all the tattoo needles for lining on this list, Wormhole wins hands down. Their tattoo needles are made from 316 medical stainless steel, are burr-free, super sharp, and easy to use. Not only are they great for lining, but they also work excellently for stick-and-poke tattoos because of their sharpness.
Each needle is checked by microscope to ensure that they’re safe to use and meet Wormhole’s high quality standards. They’re so serious about their reputation, they offer a refund option if you’re not satisfied with your product.
Choosing the right tattoo needles is often overlooked with the focus always being on the tattoo machine. Yes, the type of tattoo machine you use is super important, but it doesn’t help you have a top-of-the-range gun but end up using bad quality tattoo needles.
If you’re serious about your craft, you should take the time to research the type of tattoo needles you’re buying. Check that the needles have a solid design and come pre-sterilized.
Another important aspect is making sure it is compatible with your tattoo setup—normal tattoo needles won’t work on all kinds of tattoo machines.
An easy way to be 100% sure that the tattoo needles will work with your tattoo machine is to buy a complete tattoo kit. This is an easy way to get to know the different kinds of tattoo needles out there, as well. Of course, if you already have a tattoo machine, you won’t necessarily want to splurge on a whole new kit so will have to do a little more research before buying tattoo needles for your machine.
Whatever the case may be, we hope this article gave you an idea of the brands you can trust as you search for your favourite tattoo needles for lining.