Best.tattoo is reader-supported. When you buy via the links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.
The quality of a tattoo isn’t limited to the skill of the artists – the equipment used, especially the tattoo ink plays a vital role. Choosing the right ink can be the difference between a good tattoo and a superior tattoo. Of course, the quality of the ink will influence how long your tattoo lasts. Will it wear off faster than expected or will it look fresh as new for years? It all depends on the ink you use.
Don’t worry, after reading this article, you will know the names of the 10 best tattoo ink brands on the market in 2021.
But before we get to the list, what criteria do we look at when choosing the best ink for tattoos?
How to Choose the Best Tattoo Ink
The first thing is to look at where the ink was made. Tattoo ink from the European Union and the USA is regulated, which means these products have strict health and safety requirements to meet before hitting the shelves. Interestingly enough, tattoo inks in California are held to even higher standards. Japan, the United States, Italy and other regions in Europe are known to have extremely high safety and manufacturing standards.
All in all, you want to buy your tattoo ink from a location that sources high-quality ingredients.
Talking about ingredients, they should be meticulously tested – preferably not on animals – to ensure that they’re safe to use on the skin and provide long-lasting results. Knowing the ingredients in tattoo ink is very important since you don’t want your client to have an allergic reaction; for example, heavy metals in the ink is a big no-no.
Ingredients should be sterilized, non-toxic, cruelty-free, and comparable to the high standards of inks made in the US and EU. Being vegan-friendly and organic is another plus-point but is more a personal choice than a requirement.
Last but not least, you want to know if the tattoo ink is long-lasting and how it will perform on the skin. The tattoo ink may look vibrant in the bottle, but how long will it last on the skin? Also, will it ‘bleed’ considerably as the tattoo heals? Good tattoo ink also speeds up the healing process.
Okay, time to look at the best ink for tattoos.
Best Tattoo Ink Brands Overview
10 Best Tattoo Ink Brands
1. Dynamic Color Tattoo Ink: Best Value For Money
- Dynamic Color tattoo ink set of all 1 oz
- Made in USA
- Authentic and best tatooo ink
If you want pigment-rich tattoo ink made in the USA, then Dynamic is the brand for you.
Tattoo artists the globe over gives this ink a thumbs up. It is a high-quality ink that works perfectly for lining and shading. Although it is most popular for its black and white tattoo ink options, the colors are full of depth and saturation. These colors are easy to apply, quick-drying, and best yet, long-lasting.
All Dynamic tattoo ink colors are non-toxic and cruelty-free. None of the ingredients are animal-derived either, making it vegan-friendly.
What’s more, Dynamic tattoo ink is excellent value for money. The price ranges from just under $10 to $600, depending on the number of colors you want in your kit.
A word of caution: Fraudulent Dynamic products have flooded the market. You have to buy these inks from a reputable retailer to make sure you’re getting the real deal. True Dynamic ink colors also come in anti-printed glass bottles with their name on.
Why choose Dynamic tattoo ink?
- Value for money
- Highly pigmented
2. Intenze Tattoo Ink: Health, Safety, and Quality Certified
- Best Selling Tattoo Ink Set by INTENZE
- No hazardous ingredients
- Safely packaged in a tamper proof bottle
- Vegan friendly; no animal testing
- Made in USA
If your client is sitting for their first tattoo and they’re worried about how their body will react to the tattoo ink, then Intenze tattoo ink is the answer. This brand has been on the market since 1978 and health and safety is their main concern. Mixing and packaging happen in a super clean and hygienic environment and every bottle is quality tested and sterilized by a third-party lab before being placed on sale. No wonder Intenz complies with US safety standards for tattoo ink, as well as has EU-quality certification.
They also strive to stay on the top of the best of the tattoo ink game and continuously revolutionize their product.
When it comes to the ingredients, you can rest assured that they’re non-toxic and vegan and that the ink is never tested on animals.
Why is Intenze tattoo ink a great buy?
- Company puts health, safety, and quality first
- Saturated colors
- Money back return policy
3. Millenium Mom’s: Amazon Best Seller
- Smooth: A homogenized carrier/pigment mixture that flows easily
- Vibrant: Highest possible pure pigment content ensures your work stands out
- Consistent: Receive the color and quality you expect, each and every time
- Long-lasting: Reliable, rich tones made to remain just as they were on day one, long after application
- Trusted: A time-tested favorite among tattoo professionals, made in the USA
Millennium Mom’s tattoo ink can be described in one word: extraordinary. The colors are extremely bright and often used by tattoo artists to put color back into old and faded tattoos. Of course, professionals know to use this ink right from the start.
The consistency and pigmentation of Mom’s tattoo ink contribute to why it is considered a top-rated brand. In fact, having the perfect consistency is one of the main qualities this ink is known for.
Starting with only a few colors in the early ’90s, this brand shot to the top as one of the favorites with over 84 shades in a short time. Remarkably if you consider that not only did their shade range grow, but the consistency, pigment life, flow rate, and quality of the brand as well.
This tattoo ink ticks all the right boxes and deserves its place among the best of the best tattoo inks.
Why make Millennium Mom’s tattoo ink part of your kit?
- Unique color options
- Long skin life
- High-quality all around
4. Starbrite: FDA Certified
- Made in the USA
- Sterilized for Safety
This ink absorbs into the skin like a dream and stays as bright as the first day the tattoo was done. What makes Starbrite tattoo ink stand out is that it heals the skin. You read right!
The quality and type of ingredients used in this tattoo ink will make tattoos heal faster.
In addition, it is tested and bottled according to FDA guidelines.
A tattoo ink with great consistency, super pigmented colors, and long-lasting results, it’s no wonder Starbrite tattoo ink is a favorite among professional tattoo artists.
Why choose Starbrite?
- Heals the skin
- FDA certified
- Consistent quality
5. Kuro Sumi: Best Organic Choice
- VIVID COLOR AND DIMENSION - Originally formulated in Japan, Kuro Sumi tattoo inks give your tattoos life and dimension. The molecular structure of our ink provides long lasting vivid color.
- JAPANESE TRADITION– Tattoo artists around the world choose Kuro Sumi tattoo inks. We incorporate the art of Japanese tattooing and traditions handed down from generation to generation.
- 7 COLOR TATTOO INK SET – Our Master Set of 7 colored tattoo inks are vegan-friendly, and free from harmful chemicals. Blue, Black, Red, Green, Yellow, Orange color tattoo inks and 1 White Rice mixing tattoo ink.
- SUPERIOR IN CONSISTENCY – Our tattoo color ink formulas incorporate organic elements and were not made not to blend, but to stand out. Superior ink consistency and bright, bold colors that go the distance.
- PROUDLY MADE IN THE USA – Originally formulated in Japan, now made in the USA, Kuro Sumi takes the time to create the highest-quality tattoo inks by holding ourselves to the highest standards.
If you want a cool story to tell your clients while you’re tattooing them, then Kuro Sumi tattoo ink is a great source of inspiration. The company gets its name from Japanese warriors called Yayoi Kuro Sumi Tangnuni who marked their bodies to distinguish themselves from others.
Don’t worry; an interesting conversation starter isn’t the only reason why Kuro Sumi tattoo ink is one of the best tattoo inks. It is one of the highest quality inks on the market and contains 100% organic ingredients. This ink is perfect for anyone with sensitive skin who is afraid of having an allergic reaction or getting an infection.
If you buy Kuro Sumi tattoo ink, you can know that you’re getting the best ingredients available.
Why choose Kuro Sumi as your tattoo ink?
- It’s 100% organic
- Contains only the best ingredients
- Great price for excellent quality
6. Bloodline: Most Recommended by Professionals
- VIBRANT COLORS - Bloodline's tattoo inks are bold, bright, and long-lasting. Our ink will appear vibrant and beautiful every time. The 5 Color Set includes the following colors: Carolina Blue, Peru Red, All Purpose Black, Fast White, Canary Yellow
- HEALS SMOOTH - Bloodline tattoo ink is made with high dispersion product which applies effortlessly into the skin, making the tattooing process quick and easy and helping the application site heal smoothly
- MIXABILITY - All Bloodline Tattoo Inks can be combined with other ink colors in order to create the exact shade needed to make each tattoo unique and special. Some popular mixing ink colors include All-Purpose Black, All-Purpose White, and Fast White
- CRUELTY FREE - Bloodline Tattoo Inks is a cruelty-free and vegan company so you can use our products guilt-free. From manufacturing, mixing, and bottling all the way to shipping, everything is done in our clean room facility in the USA
- TRUSTED BRAND - Bloodline ink products are chosen by professional tattoo artists all over the world including Ibarra Fuertes, Billy Boy Abonando Jr., and Trick Carganilla
Bloodline tattoo ink was first just called Skin Candy tattoo ink but had a makeover (and price increase) a few years back after shooting to fame thanks to a popular reality TV series about tattoos. Whatever the history of this tattoo ink, it made the cut because it is a premium tattoo ink that delivers on its status. In fact, this tattoo ink is one of the most recommended by tattoo artists.
You can expect durability when you tattoo with Bloodline—it won’t fade away. Furthermore, you never need to worry about quality and packaging as every bottle of ink is thoroughly checked before it hits the shelves.
It’s also worth mentioning that tattoos done with this ink will heal much faster. Why? The company doesn’t use any toxic carriers. Instead, they use water. This makes them different from most other tattoo inks out there.
To ensure that the bar for tattoo ink stays high, this company continuously works on improving its formula, color saturation and brightness, and opacity.
Why is Bloodline the tattoo ink for you?
- Highly valued brand
- Use water and not toxic carriers
- Great consistency
7. Hawkink: Budget-Friendly Option
- 100% new brand and high quality. Favored among professional tattoo technicians.
- Color stability,Easy to use, pure color.Durable and low consumption. Safe and easy to use, long duration.Create dynamic shades and easy absorption into the skin.
- HawinkTattoo Ink Skin easily absorb pigment, no fade after the repair, color is very positive.
- Shading and liner. This ink blends well with other pre-made washes.
- Package include:1/2oz(15ml)/ Bottle,Total 7-Bottles
If you’re a new tattoo artist, Hawkink tattoo ink is a great choice for you. It won’t cost you an arm and a leg to build a complete color kit, and you won’t be sacrificing quality at all. Even though this tattoo ink is considered budget-friendly, it still contains high-quality ingredients.
Hawkink also doesn’t contain anything that will irritate the skin, so it is safe to use on even sensitive skins. That’s not all, this tattoo ink is disinfected, which means the chances of your client getting an infection is close to zero.
Why buy Hawkink tattoo ink?
- Great quality
8. Radiant Colors: High End
- 1/2 Oz Radiant 6 Popular Color Set
- color: blood red, tiger orange, super white, tribal black, country blue, canary yellow
This company is one of the State’s leading ink manufacturers. If you’re looking for high-end ink, then look no further. What makes this ink stand out is its collaboration with tattoo artists worldwide to come up with the best product possible. But it doesn’t end there; the company stays on top of technology to help ensure consistency, help sterilize their ink, and guarantee their products are irritant and pollutant-free.
For folks with sensitive skin, this may be the answer since Radiant tattoo ink is 100% organic. Also, if you’re a vegan, feel free to sit for a tattoo done with this ink as it doesn’t contain any animal by-products and isn’t tested on animals.
Why should you add Radiant Color tattoo ink to your cart?
- Top of the range
- Organic and vegan-friendly
- Perfect for sensitive skin
9. World Famous: Best Packaging
- PREMIUM TATTOO INKS – Used by many popular tattoo artists around the globe, the World Famous tattoo inks deliver flawless work of art. Longer-lasting inks with super high pigment content.
- 12 COLOR TATTOO INK SET – Paris Pink, Niagara Blue, Amsterdam Purple, Donatello Blue, Navy Seals Blue, Purple Heart, Bahama Blue, Big Ben Blue, Samuel O'Reily, Red Square, Moroccan, and Michelangelo.
- VEGAN AND SAFE ON SKIN – High-quality vegan tattoo inks contain no animal products and are never tested on animals. Reliable and safe on the skin, they comply with EU quality standards.
- PURIFIED AND SAFETY SEALED – The inks are ultra-safe and pure. All World Famous tattoo inks are purified and sealed in a crystal-flex bottle that has a scan code to verify authenticity.
- PROUDLY MADE IN AMERICA – World Famous strives to create the finest tattoo inks in the industry. With over 50 years of experience and relentless dedication, they achieved their goal.
The family behind this brand has over 50 years of tattooing experience under their belt. Their passion for tattooing was the driving force behind coming up with a tattoo ink that performs.
World Famous is also well-known for being trustworthy when it comes to delivering high-quality products to its customers.
But let’s talk about the ink. No fading here—only bright, true color that will last forever. Some tattoo artists even label this tattoo ink as the purest ink of the highest quality on the entire planet. That’s a big reputation to live up to! But they do. The ink is bold and bright and long-lasting. It will make your tattoos look brand-new years later. The ink also contains no animal products and complies with EU quality standards. That’s great news if you’re vegan.
The packaging needs extra mention. Each bottle of ink is purified and sealed in a crystal-flex bottle. Add to that the fact that the bottles are tamper-proof and you can rest assured that you’re getting the ingredients you’re paying for. They’re also TSA-approved and portable, which makes them great if you’re a traveling tattoo artist.
Why choose World Famous tattoo ink?
- Experienced brand
- High-grade ink
- Tamper-proof packaging
10. Solong: Beginner Support
- Solong Tattoo Inks are professional tattoo pigment colors.
- Solong Tattoo ink colors, 1/6oz (5ml) /bottle
- Each ink is positive for tattoo artists. All the pigment neither Layer nor fade.
- One gram pigment is completely soluble in water, indicating color up very quickly. Skin easily absorb pigment, no fade after the repair, color is very positive.
- All pigments sterilized by gamma rays
You may have seen Solong tattoo machines at one time or another, but they also make tattoo inks. These inks are vibrant and long-lasting but what makes them stand out from the others on the list is its absorbability. The formula Solong uses makes it one of the best tattoo inks because it enhances the skin’s permeability. In other words, skin sucks up this ink like a sponge. Plus, when this brand says its ink doesn’t fade after healing, you can believe them.
Another great thing about this ink is that the company uses gamma rays to sterilize pigments and this reduces infection risk significantly.
If you’re an apprentice, you should consider choosing this brand for the detailed instruction and support you get when you buy their ink.
Why should you consider buying Solong?
- Enhances skin permeability
- Support for beginners
- Gamma-ray sterilization
When you first start on your tattoo journey, one of the first questions you’ll ask yourself is: “What is the best tattoo ink?”
You now have a list of ten best tattoo ink brands on the market in 2021. Of course, the ink you use can be a highly personal choice and that is why most brands will have bad reviews no matter what. In the same breath, don’t just use a brand because it is highly rated—read both the good and bad reviews to get a better overall picture of the product.
If you’re new to the industry, it may be a good idea to chat to more seasoned tattoo artists about the tattoo ink brands they prefer to use and why. They will also be able to guide you on where to buy your ink to avoid spending money on fakes.
Good luck with choosing a brand that will make your talent shine!