Best.tattoo is reader-supported. When you buy via the links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.
You may go to the greatest tattoo artist who uses only the best tattoo ink and equipment but
if you don’t do your part and take care of your tattoo afterwards, the results may end up looking anything but professional.
The importance of tattoo aftercare cannot be stressed enough. A lot of the time, the focus is solely on the tattoo aftercare lotion; antibacterial soap for tattoos isn’t given enough attention. This is unfortunate since using the wrong soap to clean your tattoo can cause irritation and it can lead to an infection that will damage your tattoo and skin.
Tattoos are medical procedures, and they should be treated as such. You have to use a tattoo soap made with the sensitive nature of a fresh tattoo in mind.
There are many soaps but you’re looking for one that cleans, prevents irritation and itching, moisturizes, and maintains the integrity of your tattoo.
Best Tattoo Soap Buyers’ Guide
When you’re looking to buy a soap that can clean your tattoos, there are some key points to pay attention to.
Reading reviews like this is a great way to help you make the right choice. You can also jump onto Amazon and see what people who buy tattoo soaps had to say. Tattoo artists and tattoo enthusiasts are the best persons to ask, so look for articles or blogs written by experts to help guide you.
You have to know that what you’re putting on your tattoo won’t affect it negatively. Remember, it’s an open wound, so applying anything with harsh chemicals can irritate it and increase inflammation. The more inflammation there is, the longer your tattoo will take to heal and the more likely it is to get an infection.
Always research the ingredients in the soap you want to buy to see if it is safe to use on damaged skin. If not, then it’s definitely not right to use on tattoos. Alcohol is a good example of an ingredient you should avoid as it dries out the skin.
Will the tattoo soap you have in mind irritate your sensitive skin? Do you have dry skin? Then you want to use a soap that is known for its moisturizing effect. You know your skin best and are aware of products or ingredients that caused adverse effects in the past if any.
If you’re unsure, then try the soap on a healthy patch of skin and see what happens. If you get a rash or your skin becomes inflamed, then it is definitely not wise to put it on an open wound, i.e. your tattoo.
5 Best Soaps for tattoos Overview
7 Best Soaps for tattoos
1. Tattoo Goo Deep Cleansing Soap: Formulated by Tattoo Artists
- Tattoo Goo Deep Cleansing Soap for Tattoos & Piercings – New Formula - 2oz
- For Tattoo and Dermal Piercings Cleansing
- Removes more dead skin cells and dirt
- Best product available for the treatment of your new tattoo.
- PCMX-L Formula allows deep cleansing
All Tattoo Goo products were formulated with the help of tattoo artists and dermatologists. Since these professionals know what they’re talking about, you can expect a product that is made with tattooed skin in mind. This makes it one of the best soaps for tattoos available today.
It contains active ingredients to help clean the skin and protect it from any germs that may cause infection. What’s more, these germ-busting ingredients won’t leave your skin feeling dry.
That’s great news since tattoos are already itchy, you don’t want to do anything to make it worse! As a matter of fact, Tattoo Goo Deep Cleansing Soap will help relieve any itchiness. Awesome news because giving in to the urge to scratch can interfere with your tattoo’s healing process.
The only negative we have to say about this product is related to packaging. Things can get a little messy when you open the lid; the soap tends to run out easily. As an easy fix, hold the tube facing upward before opening.
What makes this one of the best soaps for tattoos?
- Made with the input of tattoo artists and dermatologists.
- Doesn’t dry the skin.
- Reduces itchiness.
- Promotes faster healing.
2. Cosco Tincture of Green Soap: Moisturizing Formula
- 8 oz Wash Bottle, A great alternative to a spray bottle.
- 1 pint green soap
- 1 pint green soap mixed with water equals 1 gallon green soap
Results speak for themselves, and if you ask professional tattoo artists, they’ll be quick to stand behind this highly effective antibacterial soap. This tattoo soap knocks out harmful bacteria without harming the skin. The fact that this tattoo soap doesn’t strip the skin of its natural moisture is something that counts in its favor.
This tattoo soap is also suitable for sensitive skin since it is hypoallergenic. You don’t have to worry about ending up with dry and scaly skin, all the while protecting your new tattoo from infection.
It’s a versatile soap to clean tattoos on different skin types. Since it is non-corrosive, tattoo artists use it to sanitize their tools and equipment to save time and money.
Cosco Tincture of Green Soap comes in a squeeze bottle that makes application quick and easy. We have to mention that the quality of the bottle leaves something to be desired—it tends to break easily when used and some customers received it damaged right out of the box.
Why choose this as the best soap for tattoos?
- It’s hypoallergenic which makes it safe for sensitive skin.
- It contains glycerol which has a moisturizing effect.
- It’s antibacterial.
- It’s non-corrosive.
3. H2Ocean 1.7 oz Blue Green Foam Soap: Most Trusted
- GREAT FOR NEW TATTOOS - H2Ocean Blue Green Foam Soap cleanses skin on and around new tattoos and the addition of aloe vera aids the healing process.
- GREEN SOAP REPLACEMENT - Use this foam soap as a no rinse replacement for tattoo green soaps which are known to be harmful for tattoo healing.
- ALCOHOL, FRAGRANCE, & DYE FREE - This product does not use any alcohol, fragrances, or artificial colors that might dry out your skin and cause irritation, instead it uses benzalkonium chloride which is a pharmaceutical grade cleaner and preservative.
- SEA SALT NOT TABLE SALT - Nutrient rich sea salt from the Red Sea is a key ingredient in H2Ocean products, others use saline table salt, but H2Ocean’s patented sea salt solutions contain over 82 trace minerals that are essential for healing.
- THE ORIGINAL ONE - H2Ocean has been committed to producing all natural sea salt based tattoo and piercing aftercare products that are 100% guaranteed to satisfy since 2001, all made in the USA.
If a soap can protect from infection and speed up the healing process then it belongs on the list of best soaps for tattoos. That’s exactly why you find H2Oceans Blue Green Foam Soap mentioned in this article. It is specifically formulated to kill harmful microbes as it helps your new tattoo heal.
It doesn’t contain any alcohol, which means it won’t dry out your skin. Another excellent ingredient is aloe vera. We realize that some tattoo artists frown upon applying aloe vera to new tattoos, but since the aloe content in this tattoo soap is low, you don’t have to worry about it negatively affecting your tattoo. It will help your tattoo heal faster and as you know, the faster your tattoo closes up, the less you’ll have to worry about infection or damage.
One thing to keep in mind is the size of the bottle. It is pretty small—just enough for a small tattoo. If you have a medium-sized tat, you’ll have to stretch it out or buy more than one bottle. Considering that it is one of the best soaps for tattoos, it may just be worth it!
What makes this be the best soap for your tattoo?
- It doesn’t contain any alcohol.
- It contains aloe vera, which helps contain moisture.
- It helps dissolve dried skin.
- Your tattoo will heal faster.
4. Dial Gold Antibacterial Bar Soap: Great Value
- KILLS BACTERIA: Antibacterial hand and bar soap brand comes this Dial Bar Soap with trusted antibacterial deodorant protection technology that kills odor causing bacteria long after you wash
- BRAND HERITAGE: With its rich gold color and bracing scent, is the bar soap you can trust for deodorant protection and long-lasting clean
- ODOR PROTECTION: Round the clock odor protection to help you feel clean and fresh all day long
- MOISTURE BALANCE: Clean rinsing and hydrating formula for the perfect balance of clean and moisturized
- CREAMY LATHER: Formulated to provide creamy, moisture rich lather that washes away bacteria without drying skin
This antibacterial tattoo soap has been on the shelves for years. It’s so gentle, it is used as an everyday soap, yet powerful enough to get rid of bacteria that can cause infection. We appreciate the fact that medical professionals recommend Dial Gold Antibacterial Bar Soap for cleansing surgical scars.
It may be strong, but it doesn’t dry out the skin. If this isn’t your first time around the tattoo block, you’ll welcome any relief you can get from the itching phase of a healing tattoo.
Furthermore, it’s perfect for those on a tight budget since you won’t have to splurge on a soap especially for your new tattoo but you can lather up and cleanse all of your body with just one bar.
One thing is certain, with its big-name reputation, this soap is reliable. You want a tattoo soap that keeps infection at bay without stripping the skin of its natural oils. When you buy this tattoo soap, you get exactly that…and more. We do have to caution you: although this soap is unscented, it does have a medical smell that may leave you feeling like you’re in the hospital. But hey, you had a minor medical procedure, so no biggie, right?
Why pick this as your tattoo soap of choice?
- It has a gentle formula but is still strong enough to kill bacteria.
- It is a powerful cleanser.
- It’s recommended by medical professionals.
- It’s a budget-friendly choice as it can be used for your whole body.
5. One Tattoo World Blue Soap: Most Soothing
- 16.9oz (500ml) per bottle, highly concentrated soap
- As alternative soap for greensoap
- Great for cleaning and tattoo after care
- Dilute the blue soap with 10~18 times of purified water
- Can make up to 1.5 Gallon of regular soap for home and office
Tattoo often used what is called “green soap” to clean their clients’ skins before and throughout the session. This tattoo soap is a great alternative but it is also perfect as tattoo aftercare. It leaves the skin feeling fresh and cool after application. This soothing effect is great for newly-tattooed skin that is feeling sensitive. The cooling effect will also lessen any itching.
Another reason why this product made it to our list of the best soap for tattoos is that it’s a huge money saver. You’ll pay for 500ml but will dilute it to 1.5 gallons—that’s a lot of soap!
Although super gentle, it is a powerful tattoo soap that won’t require much rubbing when washing your tattoo. It loosens up dried blood, plasma, dead skin cells, and dirt without you having to scrub the area. That’s a relief since tattoos can be pretty sensitive to touch the first day or two after getting them.
The only drawback we see is the quality of the bottle, so when you get your product, check for any damage, especially to the seal or cap.
Why choose One Tattoo World Blue Soap?
- You buy 500ml but end up with 1.5 gallons of soap.
- It smells better than traditional green soap.
- It has a cooling effect that soothes irritated skin.
- It’s powerful and gets rid of dirt without needing to rub much.
6. Dove Fragrance-Free Beauty Bar: Best for Sensitive Skin
- GENTLE ON SENSITIVE SKIN: Nourish your skin with Dove Sensitive Skin Beauty Bar. With its fragrance free and hypoallergenic formula, it gently cleanses for softer skin than ordinary bar soap
- DERMATOLOGIST RECOMMENDED: Formulated with ultra-mild cleansers and ¼ moisturizing cream, Dove moisturizing Beauty Bar leaves skin instantly soft and smooth with lasting nourishment
- MILD AND MOISTURIZING: Help maintain your skin’s natural moisture barrier and hydration with this Beauty Bar for women, ideal to use as a gentle face cleanser and body soap for sensitive skin
- EFFECTIVE CLEANSING: A Beauty Bar that washes away dirt and germs, but won’t dry skin as ordinary bath soap can. This hypoallergenic bar is gentle enough to use every day on your body and your face
- THOUGHTFULLY MADE: This Beauty Bar contains no sulfate cleansers and is certified Cruelty-Free by PETA, so you can feel good about switching from an ordinary soap bar to a Dove Beauty Bar
A lot of artists will tell you to buy Dove and nothing else. That’s because it has built a reputation as one of the best soaps for tattoos. The chances are that you already have it in your home since it is such a well-known soap, specifically for sensitive skin.
The fact that it is hypoallergenic means it won’t irritate your skin. Of course, that doesn’t mean it won’t be great at cleaning off dirt and dead skin, as well as busting harmful bacteria.
Tattoo artists mostly recommend you use fragrance-free soap on tattoos. The reason for this is that these soaps tend to be less irritating. This is even more true if you have sensitive skin that gets aggravated easily. Luckily, Dove’s Beauty Bar is made with sensitive skin in mind, so don’t think twice about reaching for it to clean your tattoos.
This tattoo soap will also prevent your tattoo from drying out since that will lead to cracking—something which can have a negative and permanent impact on the appearance of your tattoo.
This is one of the best options out there and its soft texture will feel like velvet on your damaged skin.
Why go with Dove Fragrance-Free Beauty Bar?
- It’s made for sensitive skin, which means it can double as tattoo care.
- It is fragrance-free and hypoallergenic.
- It moisturizes your skin.
- It also works well as a general body soap.
7. Dr. Bronner’s Pure-Castile Bar Soap: Organic Option
- DOUBLE VALUE PACK! You are buying TWO of Dr Bronner Bar Soap Organic Mild Baby 5 oz
- Our unscented baby contains no fragrance, so is great for people who have allergies or sensitive skin. Of course, it is great for babies as well. All oils and essential oils are certified organic to t……
- Organic Aloe Baby Soap Bar; Mild, Unscented
- Quantity: MULTI VALUE PACK! You are buying Description: BAR SOAP,OG,MILD BABY Unit Size: 5 OZ Brand: DR. BRONNER
If you’ve been waiting for an organic option, look no further. Dr. Bronner’s Pure-Castile Bar Soap is organic, vegan, and biodegradable.
The soap includes no synthetic additives or preservatives, making it gentle enough for sensitive skin. There’s also no added fragrance or any other harsh ingredients used that can irritate already irritated skin. In other words, if you use this tattoo soap, you can rest assured that you’re protecting your tattoo AND minimizing your carbon footprint.
Dr. Bronner’s also leaves your skin feeling soft and nourished. This means only one thing: your tattoo will stay moisturized and itching and unnecessary flaking will be kept to a minimum. Once healed, you’ll have a tattoo as vibrant as the day you first got it.
This is another head-to-toe soap on the list that will effectively break down and wash away dirt over your whole body and not just your tattoo. Who doesn’t like saving time and money?
The one downer is that it leaves a residue that will require rinsing more than once to get off.
Why choose Dr. Bronner’s as the best soap for tattoos?
- It’s vegan friendly.
- It doesn’t contain any synthetic additives or preservatives.
- It’s moisturizing yet a powerful cleanser.
- It is made for your whole body.
Your skin is exposed to a lot of nasties throughout the day. The last thing you want is for bacteria to cling to your fresh tattoo. Bacteria equals infection and that can impact the healing rate and how well your tattoo heals.
So, it is important to keep it clean. Since tattoos can’t clean themselves, you need to do your part and use a soap that is proven to work to clean fresh tattoos.
There are so many options on the market, we hope finding the best soap for tattoos is a little easier after reading this article.
Always go for the antibacterial, mild, moisturizing, and soothing option when you’re choosing the best soap for tattoos. As long as you do this, you’ll be happy and your tattoo will look great after healing.