Best.tattoo is reader-supported. When you buy via the links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.
Buying tattoo ink can be a stressful exercise, especially when it comes to skin tone tattoo ink. You may even find yourself wondering if you even need to buy skin tone tattoo ink, since, you know, your canvas is skin toned?
Well, you definitely need some skin tone tattoo inks on your shelf, particularly if you love doing color portraits. You’ll need it to work in some highlights and shadows.
The thing with skin tone tattoo ink is that you need to make sure you’re buying the right kind. For it to qualify as the best skin tone tattoo ink, it needs to be pigmented enough that it actually shows up on your client’s skin, and on top of that, it needs to be durable. One way to get both of these boxes ticked is to buy from reputable and trusted brands.
Best Skin Tone Tattoo Ink:
Here is a list of factors you need to look for when choosing the best skin tone tattoo ink:
- Brand reputation
- Health and safety
Buying ink from a reputable and trusted brand is absolutely paramount no matter the shade you’re looking for. Brands that are serious about creating only the best high-quality ink on the market pay attention to the necessary health and safety regulations.
These brands also use ingredients that are safe for the skin. This means you can use the tattoo ink on your customers’ skins without worrying about allergic reactions or other negative side effects. In fact, for your peace of mind, you should never drop your standards when it comes to tattoo ink ingredients.
Also, these ingredients should be tested (preferably not on animals) to eliminate any risk of complications. Heavy metals are a hard no when it comes to tattoo ink. You know what, to save yourself time and worry, go for brands that make vegan or organic tattoo ink. This way you’ll know that the ingredients are good for you.
Your customers’ tattoos will look bright and fresh months, even years after getting them done all thanks to the durability and performance of these inks.
This brings us to the best skin tone tattoo ink on the market.
1. Kuro Sumi Skin Tone Colour Tattoo Ink: Best Overall
- VIVID COLOR AND DIMENSION - Originally formulated in Japan, Kuro Sumi tattoo inks give your tattoos life and dimension. The molecular structure of our ink provides long lasting vivid color.
- JAPANESE TRADITION– Tattoo artists around the world choose Kuro Sumi tattoo inks. We incorporate the art of Japanese tattooing and traditions handed down from generation to generation.
- KIN-CHA SKIN TONE TATTOO INK – Our Kin-cha Skin Tone tattoo ink is vegan-friendly, and free from harmful chemicals, they are made with natural components instead. Our products are never tested on animals.
- SUPERIOR IN CONSISTENCY – Our tattoo color ink formulas incorporate organic elements and were not made not to blend, but to stand out. Superior ink consistency and bright, bold colors that go the distance.
- PROUDLY MADE IN THE USA – Originally formulated in Japan, now made in the USA, Kuro Sumi takes the time to create the highest-quality tattoo inks by holding ourselves to the highest standards.
If there’s one brand out there that the mere mention triggers a nod of approval by tattoo artists the world over then Kuro Sumi is it. This brand brings a lot to the table and their skin tone tattoo ink is no exception. The ink is made from only the highest quality ingredients, which take to the skin in long-lasting and vivid strokes. The ink has superior consistency which makes it great for lining, shading, and color-packing.
Since it is made from all-natural ingredients, you can use it on your clients knowing that any allergic reaction or sensitivity is unlikely.
What’s more, you can mix white into Kuro Sumi skin tone tattoo ink to lighten it to a shade you’re happy with.
What makes Kuro Sumi one of the best skin tone tattoo inks on the market?
- It’s not tested on animals.
- It is a well-known and trusted brand.
- It contains only natural ingredients.
2. World Famous Skin Tone Tattoo Ink: Professional Choice
- Skintone Set, Professional Tattoo Ink - A 12 color set for achieving any skin tone on any skin type. The absolute best set for creating beautiful depth and maximum dimension, and great for a range of portrait styles. Many of the most popular tattoo artists around the globe turn to World Famous' bold, beautiful tattoo ink, tattoo supplies & tattoo kits to deliver a flawless work of art.
- Vegan & Cruelty-Free Tattoo Ink - All of World Famous' professional tattoo ink & tattoo supplies have a 100% vegan formula. Does not contain animal products and never tested on animals.
- Purified & Safety Sealed - Professional tattoo ink that is truly ultra-safe and pure. All World Famous tattoo ink & tattoo supplies are purified and then sealed in a crystal-flex bottle. Every bottle has a scan code to verify authenticity.
- Used By Professionals Everywhere - Many of the most popular tattoo artists around the globe turn to World Famous' bold, beautiful tattoo ink & tattoo kits to deliver a flawless work of art. Each bottle of professional tattoo ink comes with a tamper-proof, waterproof label. When finished, use the twist cap to securely seal the bottle until next use.
- Proudly Made in America - World Famous strives to create the finest tattoo ink & tattoo supplies in the industry. With over 50 years of experience and relentless dedication, they achieved their goal.
Professionals believe in World Famous tattoo ink. Why? Well, not only is it entirely vegan-friendly and cruelty-free, but World Famous uses only top-class ingredients that are proven safe to use. After this much-loved formula gets mixed, it is sterilized by gamma radiation to kill any nasties that may cause an infection.
But that’s not the only reason why World Famous stands out from other tattoo inks. This brand invests a lot into their packaging to keep it tamper-proof and in line with safety regulations. The bottle is made from crystal-flex with a secure twist cap. The label is waterproof so you’ll also know you’re reaching for your trusty World Famous skin tone tattoo ink.
Counterfeiting is a major problem in the tattoo industry and we’re thankful that brands are spending a little extra on packaging to keep clients safe.
World Famous tattoos are also super pigmented with proven durability. Let’s face it, with a name like World Famous, they have a reputation to live up to, so you can be sure that they’re giving it their best.
Why choose World Famous as your skin tone tattoo ink of choice?
- It is vegan-friendly.
- Professionals around the globe endorse it.
- It has tamper-proof packaging.
- It is highly pigmented.
3. Mom’s Millenium Tattoo Ink: Most Trusted Brand
It’s very unlikely that you don’t know Millennium Moms tattoo ink or Mom’s ink for short. This is a super popular ink and for good reason: it is made by one of the most trusted brands in the industry. As a tattoo artist, you want to use ink that compliments your skill, and with Mom’s ink, your tattoos will shine.
Mom’s ink has been around since 1998 and their color palette is insane. In fact, they presently have over 120 hues and you can be sure that quite a few of them are skin tone tattoo inks. Their ink is made from pure and homogenized dispersed pigments which means you can expect high-pigment ink going into your clients’ skins.
We also appreciate that Mom’s ink goes through thorough testing to make sure it has the consistency, flow rate, and pigment life that the world has come to know and love. Mom’s ink is also vegan friendly and due to the quality of these natural ingredients, tattoos also heal faster.
Why choose Millennium Moms as your best skin tone tattoo ink?
- It has a great consistency.
- It contains pure pigments for vibrant tattoos.
- It is durable and long-lasting.
- It is made by a trusted brand.
4. Viking Ink: Best for Darker Skin
- More than 20 years in the sector manufacturing and distributing all kinds of supplies for tattoo artists, among which are: Inks, Thinners, Stencil and Stencil Remover, Soaps, Creams.
- Available sizes for all colors: ½ Fl Oz and 1 Fl Oz. For black there are 4 Fl Oz and 8 Fl Oz too.
- All our products are guaranteed by the strictest control measures in the manufacturing process. The jars have a double safety closure and a protective membrane.
- We have a wide range of colors, blacks and shades. You can find them in various sizes, in savings format in kits and combos along with other of our products.
- Of our products we highlight Black Dynamite, it is an intense black, it does not turn blue or green over time. The consistency is good for all types of work and adapts very well to all skin types. Our inks comply with all European CTL CE regulations for tattoo inks. Vegan product made in the USA.
Finding the right tattoo ink can be challenging when you have darker-skinned clients in mind. Luckily, brands like Viking Ink know the struggle and developed their ink with everyone in mind; their skin color ink for tattoos works great on darker skin tones. Why? Because it is extremely pigmented. Professional tattoo artists agree: Viking Ink tattoo ink takes to darker skin like a duck to water and your client will walk away with a bright tattoo that will last for a long time.
If you’re finding it difficult to find just the right tone, you can blend Viking Ink tattoo inks together until you get the tone you’re happy with. Overall, Viking Ink is a high-end brand that is known for great quality inks that outperform many of its peers.
Oh, and the fact that Viking Ink is cruelty-free and vegan means it definitely belongs on our list of best skin tone tattoo inks!
Why choose Viking Ink?
- Works great on darker skins.
- Is highly pigmented.
- Is high-performance and long-lasting.
- Is cruelty-free and vegan-friendly.
Apart from your tattoo machine, the ink you use is probably one of the most essential investments you need to make. You may be the best tattoo artist in the world but when you use the wrong tattoo ink, your name and reputation will suffer.
Let’s face it, cheap ink isn’t as pigmented and durable as more expensive inks, and when it comes to skin tone tattoo ink, pigmented and durable ink is exactly what you want!
When choosing a tattoo ink—it doesn’t matter what color or tone—remember to buy from reputable and trusted brands. These brands are serious about making tattoo ink, so you can expect to get only the best when you support them. Your clients will thank you as the tattoo experience and tattoo healing process will be much better, and their tattoos will continue to look vibrant for years to come.
All that’s left to do is decide which brand on our list of best skin tone tattoo inks you want to try out! Whichever one you choose, we are confident that you’ll be happy!